Installed trial, uninstalled, and it keeps bothering!!

General discussions about Little Snitch
nukoso

Installed trial, uninstalled, and it keeps bothering!!

Post by nukoso » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Hey, A few days ago i installed a trial of little snitch, and it really has become a little snitch. Cause even when i've uninstalled it, it keeps showing the messages telling me little snitch is no longer free, i've tried many times to install, and then uninstall, (I've already tried to download the lastest installer, uninstalled, but it keeps comming, reinstalled, and uninstalled, and no results...) but no matters what i do, the message keeps comming up. The other message doesn't show up anymore( the one telling me the 3 hour period has ended) but only the one that says little snitch is no longer free.
Honestly if i ever considered to buy this software, this has been so annoying, i no longer consider it.
Please help me get rid of it.

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Installed trial, uninstalled, and it keeps bothering!!

Post by paulc » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:08 pm

First, look for:

/System/Library/Extensions/LittleSnitch.kext

If it's there, that's the problem. The uninstaller SHOULD have gotten rid of it. If you see it,.. I'd re-boot in safe mode (restart, press and hold the shift key until you see your desktop appear... this will take a LKNG time). Then run the installer again and select "Uninstall."

BTW, essentially stuff in that folder loads at boot time. To speed things up, there are 2 files loose (Extensions.xxx) in:

/System/Library/

that cache certain code for quicker startup. I believe when an "extension" is deleted, those cache files are re-done.

If there's no LittleSnitch.kext, it may be those cache files need to be deleted, as possibly they did not get cleaned up. I THINK one of thew various "cache cleaning" utilities may be able to delete them. They can be manually deleted, BUT you had better have a pretty deep undertstanding of what you're doing... all of the stuff in:

/System/Library/Extensions/

are way important and if you delete any other files in there, you could render your machine unusable.

This is based on my understanding of how certain aspects of OS X work... you may prefer to hear from the ObjDevs as well. Just LOOKING where I told you should not change anything.

karl
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Installed trial, uninstalled, and it keeps bothering!!

Post by karl » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Little Snitch never brings up a message that says something like little snitch is no longer free. Little Snitch was never free, you need a valid software license to use it beyond the three our demo period. To be more clear the message that says something like little snitch is no longer free is not generated by our software product Little Snitch. Please create a support ticket including a screenshot of the alert you are associating with Little Snitch. Maybe we can help you to identify the software which creates this message.