QUESTIONS FOR POTENTIAL BUYER

General discussions about Little Snitch
kkamin

QUESTIONS FOR POTENTIAL BUYER

Post by kkamin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:50 am

Looking to possibly purchase Little Snitch, but want to make sure it won't make life harder, so I have a few questions:

1. When I am deciding whether to "allow or deny" a program access, do the programs sense the break in their operation?

2. And couldn't they mess up/crash/freeze if their action of connecting to their "home" is required for their operation at that moment? I'm not a programmer but perhaps the program is set up to: a) connect to home server or b) no internet connection is found so move on, but what if Little Snitch creates an unexpected option by c) blocking the program's action and that screws things up. Is this a legitimate concern?

2. I've read some horror stories where peoples' computers suffer severe problems after installing and after trying to uninstall (they feel Little Snitch hides files deep that are not removed at the uninstall). How common are these problems?

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: QUESTIONS FOR POTENTIAL BUYER

Post by paulc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:54 pm

Actually, there is one major issue (which has been corrected in the nightly builds). The current 2.1.3 release version, after installation on a 10.4.11 system, will hang the boot process. It can be worked around, but ONLY by those who are fairly tech savvy (i.e. do a safe boot). To those who never heard or don't know how to do a safe boot, they have a totally unusable computer that can caused all sorts of havoc (some may bring it into a shop and end up paying a bunch of money).

However, this could be a non-issue IF they rolled the nightly that fixed it into the release version (which is what SHOULD be done).

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: QUESTIONS FOR POTENTIAL BUYER

Post by norbert » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:30 pm

kkamin wrote:When I am deciding whether to "allow or deny" a program access, do the programs sense the break in their operation?

When Little Snitch denies a connection, from a program's perspective it looks as if the host that it attempts to reach is currently down.

kkamin wrote:And couldn't they mess up/crash/freeze if their action of connecting to their "home" is required for their operation at that moment?

Programs must be prepared to the case where the host they want to reach is down. If they don't handle that case properly, they may get troubles with or without Little Snitch.

kkamin wrote:I've read some horror stories where peoples' computers suffer severe problems after installing and after trying to uninstall (they feel Little Snitch hides files deep that are not removed at the uninstall)

The Uninstall option of the Little Snitch Installer program completely removes Little Snitch from the computer. It only leaves the preferences file and the rules file in place, so if you decide to reinstall the program later, your custom settings are preserved.