dnetc

General discussions about Little Snitch
paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

dnetc

Post by paulc » Fri May 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Think I may have come across a bug. dnetc is an application for swapping data with distributed.net (it both gets and sends data). Right after I booted with LS 2 active, I immediately allowed it. Some time later as I was playing with rules, I saw it listed in red... checking the doc told me that means it's invalid. So I deleted it and manual set a rule. Few minutes later, I again get an alert. so I set it to also allow. So I have identical rules in my list, one valid and one invalid.

The "valid" rule does not work. The "invalid" rule does.

FWIW, it's more a Unix application than a Mac GUI based one, if that means anything...

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: dnetc

Post by norbert » Fri May 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Please select these rules in the Little Snitch Configuration application, open the Info drawer (Command-I) and check the full Unix file path that's shown there. Which path do you get for your valid rule? And which one for the invalid rule? If the displayed path does not exist on your computer, the rule is shown as "invalid", since it refers to a nonexistent executable file.

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by paulc » Sat May 23, 2009 3:52 pm

OK, looks like the paths LS shows are full from the volume. Even more curious is that the "invalid rule that works" shows "./dnetc," which looks exactly like what one has to type in Terminal to launch the application.

I checked my "root" and there is no copy of dnetc there...

As I had manually created the rule that did n to work, it did have a full path to where the executable resided, i.e. /Applications/dnetc/dnetc. The necessary .ini file also resides at that path... absent it, the application would have to recreate a default one... at the same location.

The application's page is at:

http://www.distributed.net/rc5/

and clients come from:

http://www.distributed.net/download/clients.php

I DO see that my client is old and there is a newer version available, so I'm off to load it in... but I doubt that would change the situation any; if so, I'll be here to report it right away.

Hope you understand I'm not trying to say LS is doing something wrong as the app in question works the way I'd want it to work (i/e. without an entry in LS, it can't fetch and send data packets).

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Sun May 31, 2009 7:38 pm

paulc wrote:OK, looks like the paths LS shows are full from the volume. Even more curious is that the "invalid rule that works" shows "./dnetc," which looks exactly like what one has to type in Terminal to launch the application.

Ah, I see. If an application has been started using a relative path specifier, the corresponding Little Snitch rule must also refer to the same relative path. It's actually a bug in the Little Snitch Configuration showing these rules as "invalid" although they are actually valid. Will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for pointing this out!

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by paulc » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:40 pm

Ah, thanks so much. Indeed there is something a tad funky... one doesn't "launch" the application by any usual methods. To get it to be a startup item, it needs to put another Unix program in the /Library/Startup Items folder.