Nightly build didn't resolve mdnsresponder bug

General discussions about Little Snitch
swich2mac

Nightly build didn't resolve mdnsresponder bug

Post by swich2mac » Wed May 13, 2009 4:41 am

Nightly build (May 12) dev notes states that the mdnsresponder bug has been resolved. I can report that it DID NOT fix the issue on my unibody MacBook Pro. Anyone else?

Scott

Bogie

Re: Nightly build didn't resolve mdnsresponder bug

Post by Bogie » Wed May 13, 2009 6:04 am

Same here. I get the same request just after login and multiple times at shutdown. Each time I accept, a new rule is added to the rules list. For the multiple events at shutdown, the computer will eventually shutdown without dismissing the dialog. I think I saw somewhere that downgrading to 2.0.5 is the answer for now...

Bogie

karl
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by karl » Wed May 13, 2009 9:28 am

We will further investigate the mDNSResponder issue.

In the meantime, you can do the following:

1) Open Little Snitch Configuration
2) Enable the "Allow Global Rule Editing" option in Preferences > Security
3) Double click on your newly created mDNSResponder rule. This will give you the option to edit the rule
4) Select the checkbox "Global for all users" in the rule dialog box
5) Additionally select Server 'Any Server', Port 'any', Protocol 'any'

karl
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by karl » Wed May 13, 2009 6:54 pm

We found another issue in this regard, which has now been fixed in the latest nightly build 422 of version 2.1.3, available at:

http://www.obdev.at/littlesnitch/nightly.html

sbimos

Post by sbimos » Thu May 14, 2009 6:55 am

I am running LS 2.1.3.422 nightly on an MBP IC2D 2.33 w/ 10.5.7.

I am also still experiencing the freeze immediately after login. I get frozen on the "space" screen background. When I read that LS might be the issue, I downloaded the nightly build, and did a little cleanup of my rules as well. When I restart (or shut down, then start), I freeze after the login each time. Only when I hold down the power button to force a shutdown during one of these hangups, THEN start up again, will I start up successfully. However, I noticed that when I finally get started, LS is loading my OLD rules, NOT the ones I had just cleaned up before restarting. I can use LS Configuration to revert to my new rules (I made a backup), but I still get the OLD rules gain, whenever I go through the failed startup process again. My new rules always appear to be saved with no issues (I can close and open LS Configuration and still see them), until I try to restart and get the hangup issue again.

karl
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by karl » Fri May 15, 2009 3:26 am

The remaining issues are addressed within the nightly build 423 of Little Snitch 2.1.3.

The nightly build can be downloaded from
http://www.obdev.at/littlesnitch/nightly.html

sbimos

nightly build 423

Post by sbimos » Fri May 15, 2009 5:59 am

No Joy. Repeat, no joy.

I tried LS NB 423, and I still got the login hangup. I completely uninstalled, and regained normal login. I reinstalled LS NB 423, and I was back to the login hangup. I have now downgraded to 2.0.5, and everything seems to be working normally again.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: nightly build 423

Post by norbert » Fri May 15, 2009 5:17 pm

sbimos wrote:I tried LS NB 423, and I still got the login hangup.

We are unable to reproduce this issue on any of our test systems. This might be a problem specific to your configuration, therefore I'd ask you to raise a support ticket, so we can take a closer look at your particular problem.

grdh20

Re: nightly build 423

Post by grdh20 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:43 pm

sbimos wrote:No Joy. Repeat, no joy.

I tried LS NB 423, and I still got the login hangup. I completely uninstalled, and regained normal login. I reinstalled LS NB 423, and I was back to the login hangup. I have now downgraded to 2.0.5, and everything seems to be working normally again.

same here. something that works in 2.05 is borked in all through 423 at least.