v.2 Beta, Application vs. Preference Pane

General discussions about Little Snitch
iGreg

v.2 Beta, Application vs. Preference Pane

Post by iGreg » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:37 pm

I think the new Beta version is too bloated up. It seems to use way more RAM than the Preference pane version. Also, I don't need more stuff filling up my menu bar.

Instead of being easier to use, I find the application to be more complex & more intrusive with the menu stuff.
:?
Last edited by iGreg on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fluffy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fluffy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:00 am

Well, they have to put all the cool new features and enhancements somewhere...!

Also, where are you getting version 2 from?
I can't find any mention of it...

iGreg

Post by iGreg » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:35 am

I joined the beta program somewhere on the site and they sent me an email with a temporary beta license. I do not think they want me to post the link here. You have to request it I think.

BTW, almost 30 mb of RAM to run something like this seems a little much to me.

Fluffy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fluffy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:45 am

iGreg wrote:BTW, almost 30 mb of RAM to run something like this seems a little much to me.

iGreg, do you happen to be running any Application Enhancer modules?
If so, I recommend adding all LittleSnitch processes to the 'Master Exclude List". That will significantly reduce memory usage.

iGreg

Post by iGreg » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:12 am

No, no Unsanity haxies.

Fluffy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fluffy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:31 am

Perhaps the devs will be able to reduce the memory foot-print during the beta process...

iGreg

Post by iGreg » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:18 am

I am reconsidering my view that an application is inferior to the Preference Pane. I notice with the current beta version it is using way less RAM than before. Note that I am now testing on my new machine, an Intel iMac, rather than the iMac G5 I previously used. Also, I am now using OS 10.4.10. Finally, I also did add the two Little Snitch processes: Little Snitch Network Monitor & Little Snitch UIAgent to Application Enhancer master exclusion list.
Little Snitch 2.0 beta uses between 8 and 12 MB RAM usually. That is much more reasonable than I previously saw. My main beef was the excessive amount of RAM usage. So with the apparent reduction in RAM needed my main objection is gone.

I like some of the new features, however, without a manual or instructions readme I find it difficult to fully evaluate it.

I also now find that I like the quick access to Little Snitch features via the menu.

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:16 pm

As a general consumer, I prefer the new method.
I prefer the new look.

wimpus

Post by wimpus » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:14 pm

davebarnes wrote:As a general consumer, I prefer the new method.
I prefer the new look.

/me 2. I think the new look is awesome!
But maybe the standalone conf app would be beter in prefpane, thats all.
And the Network Monitor is good too in the toolbar :D

Keep up the good work guys!

rhywun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rhywun » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:35 am

I am curious to know why the configuration is now an application and not a preference pane. I *much* preferred the preference pane. One reason is that I already have numerous applications in the 'Applications' folder and this seems like it doesn't belong. Another problem is the name is rather long (it appears in Finder as "Little Snitc...figuration"). Such wordiness reminds me of Windows.

jakaj

Post by jakaj » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:11 pm

The name is awkwardly long indeed.

Also, IMO, the app should either:

- Remain "LS Config" and auto-close when rules are closed (like a "modal" application)

_OR_

- Be renamed to "Little Snitch" if something else will be done in it in the future.