How about the ability to export/import rules 1 by 1

General discussions about Little Snitch
username

How about the ability to export/import rules 1 by 1

Post by username » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 am

I use LS on my desktop and laptop. I have circumstances where I have, by trial and error, made my rules for an application that are just perfect and allow the app to function, but not send info out I do not want.

Well, I do not want to recreate these rules 1 by 1 on my laptop IF I use the same app on my laptop as I already made the effort on my desktop. So the ability to export a rule 1 by 1 (say by right click) would be great as then you could carry it over to the other machine and 'import' the rule. Exporting them all as a giant export is not that good as there wil be things you use on desktop not on the laptop, and vice versa, so a 1 by 1 export makes great sense.

here is a great example. I used "webclips" button in Safari to make a Dashboard widget. The widget has a BUNCH of calls it makes to servers for ads and other misc data I do not need. That 1 widget has 10 rules allowing certain calls out and not others. But, do I not want to remake that same set if rules or test the widget and create the same set of rules on my laptop as it took like 30 minutes to test it all out and make correct rules so it would not grab the ads but still function. IF I could export these rules 1 by 1, I would move them over to the laptop.. viola.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: How about the ability to export/import rules 1 by 1

Post by norbert » Mon May 25, 2009 5:39 pm

I just ran across this unanswered post.

username wrote:So the ability to export a rule 1 by 1 (say by right click) would be great as then you could carry it over to the other machine and 'import' the rule.

That's already possible via Copy/Paste. Just select the rule(s) that you'd like export (hold down the Command key to select multiple rules), then press Command-C to put a textual representation of the selected rules on the clipboard. You can then paste this text into a text document or an email message to transfer it to your other computer.

To import those rules, just copy the text from your text document or email message and paste it into the rules window with Command-V.

username

Post by username » Mon May 25, 2009 6:06 pm

really? wow, I will have to try this.

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by paulc » Mon May 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Wow, this is great... I already filed a bug report and used a screen grab of the rule... in the future, I'll use this functionality!

NB, I notice is does not seem to indicate where a rule is temporary or permanent...

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Mon May 25, 2009 9:12 pm

paulc wrote:NB, I notice is does not seem to indicate where a rule is temporary or permanent...

Temporary rules cannot be created from scratch, but only from within the connection alert. So if you transfer a temporary rule via Copy/Paste it becomes a permanent rule.

Humpalumpa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Humpalumpa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:04 am

Nice feature: copying and pasting rules.
But the problem is: It doesn't work as expected.
Well, you may *copy* a lot of rules in one single step, thats true.
But we cannot *paste* them back as a bunch, we have to do this one by one.
Always just one single rule per paste task is accepted, the rest is thrown away.
This is pretty annoying if you have to transfer several hundrets of rules (as we do).
(In addition, the "is a global rule" property gets lost when copying rules this way.)
So, is there any other way to transfer a really big set of rules from one machine to another?
And/or from one user account to another? Maybe with an AppleScript, or Shellscript?
We thought about to construct a synthesized "Backup File" to import them, but we have no infos about the used *.plist scheme (a.k.a. "*.lsbu" file). Can you help?