LS 2.0.4 & Adobe Creative Suite 4 "Phonehome"

General discussions about Little Snitch
derchris

Post by derchris » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:35 am

Hello,

does Little Snitch recognize the phonehome attemps from adobes CS4 and could LS block those attemps?

Or is their a built in "white card" for adobe software?

regards

vläd

Post by vläd » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:39 am

I would like to know as well.

Buzz

Post by Buzz » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:07 pm

I can't answer this question directly, but I have DreamWeaver blocked completely and yet if I choose the a Help Menu item, DreamWeaver goes directly to Adobe's Help website and posted on the Help page is a Red alert about my serial number needing checked. So, DreamWeaver is going right around LS and passing information through my browser somehow.

Humpalumpa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: LS 2.0.4 & Adobe Creative Suite 4 "Phonehome"

Post by Humpalumpa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:29 am

derchris wrote:does Little Snitch recognize the phonehome attemps from adobes CS4 and could LS block those attemps?

Yes, it does.
Just block any connections to "activate.adobe.com" for all apps.
And do NOT allow "any connection" to anyone of the adobe apps alone, cause this would be a "more specific rule" and this would override the first one. If needed, you may add the blocking rule above to each cs4 app separately (There are a lot of them...)

Hint:
You may block this "server of pure evil" even without using LS at all.
(works perfectly, too. Some kind of "fire and forget").

Just put it into your "/etc/hosts" file with this (monstrous, but single-line!) Terminal command, entered as an Admin (just C&P it):

Code: Select all

sudo bash -c 'url="activate.adobe.com"; x="$(</etc/hosts)"; [ $(fgrep -c "$url" <<< "$x") -eq 0 ] && cp -p /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.$(date +%Y-%b-%d_%H-%M-%S).saved && echo "$x"|sed -e "s,\(127\.0\.0\.1.*localhost\),\1  $url ,1" >| /etc/hosts && dscacheutil -flushcache;' 

Give your password, when prompted for (will not be displayed)
That's it: Devil's gone back to hell forever.
Online Updates will still work, dont be afraid (verified!).

BUT NOTE:
NEVER EVER USE BOTH METHODS TOGETHER.
Use the hosts file OR LS.

If you would do so, you won't be able to print anymore.
If you make any host "example.com" to an alias name for "localhost",
and use LS to block this host "example.com", you effectively block "localhost", too.
And "localhost" means your own machine... NOT good to block yourself, huh?

orchetect

Post by orchetect » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:16 am

Humpalumpa wrote:BUT NOTE:
NEVER EVER USE BOTH METHODS TOGETHER.
Use the hosts file OR LS.

If you would do so, you won't be able to print anymore.
If you make any host "example.com" to an alias name for "localhost",
and use LS to block this host "example.com", you effectively block "localhost", too.
And "localhost" means your own machine... NOT good to block yourself, huh?

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I have not explicitly tested this...), but you don't have to use 127.0.0.1 (localhost). You can use any IP address that you know will not work or resolve anywhere. The first of such that come to mind are private network IPs that never leave your LAN. In particular, you could use any 169.254.0.x address or 172.16.x.x address, which are never used on a DHCP or even static network. (Or even a 192.168.x.x address that you aren't using, for that matter.)

This would solve your potential accidental-blocking of connections to localhost.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

jkoeller

Post by jkoeller » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Can you not just all connections from CS4 apps? You don't need to add the specific rule for "activate.adobe.com" do you?

Also does anyone know why Dreamweaver could still access the web in Buzz's situation?

Charlie12121

Post by Charlie12121 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:13 am

Is there a way to remove this terminal entry or undo the entry? Please let me know. Is it something like sudo rm ??? Thanks.

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by paulc » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Charlie12121 wrote:Is there a way to remove this terminal entry or undo the entry? Please let me know. Is it something like sudo rm ??? Thanks.

Delete (or edit) the hosts file... assuming you aren't already using it for other purposes.