Temporarily block all outgoing traffic

General discussions about Little Snitch
eric_the_web

Post by eric_the_web » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:07 pm

Presales question:

I would like to temporarily block all outgoing traffic except for a few specific connections/protocols when I'm connecting to the internet via a satellite phone (very expensive bandwidth).

Is there a simple way for me to do this?

Thanks!

-EAB

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:52 am

Currently not.

What you can do, is to exchange the Little Snitch rules file, whenever you change the type of internet connection and thus would like to activate a different set of rules.

The rules file is:
~/Library/Application Support/Little Snitch/config.plist
where "~" stands for your home directory.

Just stop Little Snitch, exchange this file against some copy containing other rules and re-start Little Snitch. Little Snitch will give a warning, that the rules file was changed, which you can safely ignore in this situation.

An upcoming release of Little Snitch will allow for easy activation/deactivation of rules.

Temp Reader

Please make it a feature request

Post by Temp Reader » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:36 pm

What eric_the_web asks about would be an extremely valuable feature for Little Snitch.

johannes wrote:Currently not.

What you can do, is to exchange the Little Snitch rules file, whenever you change the type of internet connection and thus would like to activate a different set of rules.

The rules file is:
~/Library/Application Support/Little Snitch/config.plist
where "~" stands for your home directory.

Just stop Little Snitch, exchange this file against some copy containing other rules and re-start Little Snitch. Little Snitch will give a warning, that the rules file was changed, which you can safely ignore in this situation.

An upcoming release of Little Snitch will allow for easy activation/deactivation of rules.

askywalker

Feature Request!

Post by askywalker » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:58 am

I just wanted to bump this as a feature that I would love as well - we have loads of users that use their cellphone broadband, and I would love to be able to limit the applications that could use the broadband when in expensive roaming situations.

jwiegley

Post by jwiegley » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 am

Even better would be to have named "rule sets". I want a more permissive ruleset when I'm at home (where I use Rendezvous, file sharing, etc), but I want more restrictive away from home (like, I don't want Rendezvous broadcasting to the whole café that I'm there).

John

dpuett

Post by dpuett » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:54 pm

I don't use the 'Location' feature of the 'Network' System Preference, but maybe being able to tie a specific LS rule set to a 'Location' would be nice.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:27 pm

Create a location in network preferences called offline that has no network access (deselect all the network ports).

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:28 am

Still think this feature needs visiting...

Would be very useful to quickly change between pre-configured rules, without the whole backup->restore malarkey.

esp. when you're being charged for network usage by the byte.