Little Snitch Affecting VLC Video Playback

General discussions about Little Snitch
jkkuehne@gmail.com

Little Snitch Affecting VLC Video Playback

Postby jkkuehne@gmail.com » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:44 pm

I recently noted an issue with playback via VLC with a significant amount of buffering and digital artifacts. This occurred when playback was running from files on either the internal SSD or a flash drive.
My troubleshooting led me to find that this playback anomaly did not occur on a different user account. The only difference between the accounts was the presence of Little Snitch running.

Am interested in knowing if anyone else on this forum may have experienced this.

My system information is as follows:
Macbook Air
8 GB RAM
512 GB SSD 70% free space
OS/X High Sierra 10.13.6

Little Snitch 4.2.4

mcgroarty

Re: Little Snitch Affecting VLC Video Playback

Postby mcgroarty » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:10 pm

It would be very surprising if this were related to Little Snitch. But you could try opening the Little Snitch preferences to see if turning off "show status in menu bar" changes anything. That would prevent it from frequently rendering status updates.

How certain are you that Little Snitch is the only difference between the accounts? For example, is there any possibility that the VLC preferences are different between the two accounts? Some VLC defaults have changed over time. If one account first ran VLC on a different version than the other then the two accounts' VLC preferences may have different rendering behaviors. To help rule this out, you can exit VLC and then erase these so VLC has all default options when you next launch it:

* ~Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc
* ~Library/Saved Application State/org.videolan.vlc.savedState
* ~Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc
* ~Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist

jkkuehne@gmail.com

Postby jkkuehne@gmail.com » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks for the recommendation for further troubleshooting. I will try this and note any changes in behaviour.

jkkuehne@gmail.com

Postby jkkuehne@gmail.com » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:56 pm

UPDATE:

Resetting the VLC preferences did the trick. I believe that the option for "retrieve metadata from the web" was having the most impact since every request was traversing through Little Snitch.

thanks again for the suggestion.

Return to “Little Snitch General”