Rules Lost when Booting to Restored/Cloned OS X

General discussions about Little Snitch
Auggie

Rules Lost when Booting to Restored/Cloned OS X

Postby Auggie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:21 pm

I noticed this limitation over the years even though Little Snitch would ask if it should continue to use existing rules or go back to default rules (I'd always select use existing) and simply went about recreating new rules as they come up, but after my latest Mojave restoration, I think it's time I find it if this is the "expected" behavior or if this is a bug.

For the interim, would I need to perform a Little Snitch rules backup, and then after booting to a cloned/restored OS X, perform a Little Snitch rules load?

Auggie

Re: Rules Lost when Booting to Restored/Cloned OS X

Postby Auggie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:05 pm

I gather that with zero responses I should contact ObjDev support directly... :(

maelcum

Postby maelcum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:03 pm

You could try to contact ObjDev support, but honestly I have difficulties understanding what your problem is. Maybe it's the same for them.

Are you talking about the warning dialog that comes up when you import an old LS backup on a freshly installed os/LS installation?
If so, there is nothing unexpected about this from my point of view. When LS is installed, it comes with a set of rules. If you import an old backup, it just makes sure you realize that you are going to overwrite the current ruleset with the old one (which might not work for several reasons). In that it is sensible to be given a warning, methinks. :)

If I misunderstood you, maybe you would like to describe your problem again, with something like "steps to reproduce" and maybe we'll figure out a solution.

Auggie

Postby Auggie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:07 am

maelcum wrote:You could try to contact ObjDev support, but honestly I have difficulties understanding what your problem is. Maybe it's the same for them.

Are you talking about the warning dialog that comes up when you import an old LS backup on a freshly installed os/LS installation?
If so, there is nothing unexpected about this from my point of view. When LS is installed, it comes with a set of rules. If you import an old backup, it just makes sure you realize that you are going to overwrite the current ruleset with the old one (which might not work for several reasons). In that it is sensible to be given a warning, methinks. :)

If I misunderstood you, maybe you would like to describe your problem again, with something like "steps to reproduce" and maybe we'll figure out a solution.

My old rules NEVER transfer, no matter which selection I choose on that dialog window; it always resorts to its basic default rules. Period. That's as clear as I can declare it.

I've now done maybe 20 different cloning, restorations, upgrades, what have not over the years, and whenever I boot the restored/cloned system, I've always lost my long aged and meticulously built rules. This happens on all of my Macs: 2008 Mac Pro, 2012 Mac Pro, and 2012 MacBook Pro. So this bug has transcended across multiple versions of LS and OS X, from as far back as Yosemite if I recall correctly.

I've always just grunted my frustration and started over, but I've had to perform a slew of cloning/reinstalls over the past few weeks due to a ransomware infestation that occurred running Win10 on Boot Camp on my MacPro5,1, so this bug has been amplified in compounding the frustration I'm experiencing presently.

maelcum

Postby maelcum » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:32 am

Hm. I've done my fair share of installations, usually VMs, a few hardware installs now and then and have NEVER EVER had any problem with reinstalling my old backups. If I'd experience what you describe, I'd be more than frustrated, since - just as you - I am meticulously grooming my ruleset and putting very much effort in it's optimization. I'd just hate to loose that.

Since your recent post comes across a tad aggravated, I'm not sure if it makes sense trying to help you, or if you just wanted to vent your frustration.

Return to “Little Snitch General”