Rules for apps without a fixed path (specifically TunnelBear)

General discussions about Little Snitch
Chazzo

Rules for apps without a fixed path (specifically TunnelBear)

Postby Chazzo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm having trouble creating rules for an app that wants to make outgoing connections from a path that LS doesn't like. An example is the `openvpn` app in the path `/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/T/tunnelbear/openvpn`. LS files this under "Invalid Rules" and says it's not repairable, so I assume the connection is denied. Any suggestions on how to deal with this, or just an explanation of what's happening?

In this case openvpn is part of the TunnelBear VPN app. LS rules that relate to the copy of openvpn that's embedded in the TunnelBear package are fine, because they have a conventional "hard" path (`/Applications/TunnelBear.app/Contents/MacOS/openvpn`). But after a recent upgrade, TunnelBear also wants openvpn to connect from a stack of random-looking paths in `/var/folders/zz/...`, and these cause problems for LS. I assume these folders are somehow "not real", but since they're owned by System I can't see inside them.

I've previously posted here about TunnelBear and not been overwhelmed with responses, so I'm not expecting any answer to this specific case. But I'm thinking perhaps TunnelBear is not the only app that behaves in this annoying way.

Return to “Little Snitch General”