What qualities should a logo designer possess?

General discussions about Little Snitch
olanrogers

What qualities should a logo designer possess?

Post by olanrogers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Perfectness comes with practice. I have been working as a logo designer for a span of 3 years and I believe that I still have not entirely honed my skills. I have a long way to go so instead of working as a freelancer I decided to join a logo design company in New York and gained experience over there. I was not able to collaborate and communicate with the client properly but I learned to improve my communication skills. My passion and curiosity drove me to excel in my field but I still think that something is lacking. What else do you think a professional logo designer should possess?

aneesmasudi

Re: What qualities should a logo designer possess?

Post by aneesmasudi » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Yes, my friend, you are right as professional logo designer is hard to communicate with the client because if you collaborate with the client so you don't focus on your technical skills

TSGordon

Re: What qualities should a logo designer possess?

Post by TSGordon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:42 pm

This is a strange place to have poised this question, other than the fact Objective Development has done a superberb job on their LOGOS, (or Ikons) from its inception.

Two strikingly critical things become obvious. The first is to let your mind wander as you concentrate on delivering THREE distinctly different variations for your initial presentation. By giving the client, or decision-body a broad selection "AS A STARTING POINT", you actually begin a fresh dialogue in the VISUAL domain. Part of this craft is cerebral, part is gut emotion.

The second word of wisdom comes from Richard Foy, progenitor/partner in the creation of the Pearl Street Mall, -one of America's most successful 'placemaking' ventures of all time. He says; "The MAIN thing to do in the initial consultation-stage is to approach every 'art' project with a firm understanding that you currently don't know shit!"

This goes full-circle through several iterations until YOUR logo is more than a reflection of all the clues which had been brought to the table. And, in summary, you've actually joined the company profile as a distinctive participant in their planned destiny.

Otherwise, business books abound. But, remember, not every great artist has this power to distill their thoughts sufficintly to allow that logo to emerge on its own accord. :D