Rules that disappear

General discussions about Little Snitch
CarlosMan

Rules that disappear

Post by CarlosMan » Tue May 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi,
After I did the last update, version 4.1nightly, some rules disappeared (Little Snitch 4).
This is the second time I have faced this situation but, when I went from version 3 to 4, I admit I did not pay due attention…
I think it's convenient for everyone to check if, after an update, all the rules are there.
You should also make a backup of them.
Greetings

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Rules that disappear

Post by christian » Tue May 29, 2018 4:58 pm

Do you have backups of "/Library/Application Support/Objective Development/Little Snitch/configuration.xpl"? If you have, and if you have some spare time, can you please go back to 4.0.6, restore the backup (using Little Snitch Configuration) and check whether the rules are actually there?

If the rules are indeed lost, we would be interested in receiving your old (and possibly new) configuration.xpl file so that we can reproduce the issue.

CarlosMan

Post by CarlosMan » Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Christian,
If I understand, reinstalling the 4.0.6 is not feasible at the moment and the time Machine was off temporarily (...). I also do not find on your site that version.
I tried to restore as you indicated, but the information came up that the file cannot be read.
Trusting in Objective Development, I can send the file in question, but I need to know where...
Thank you

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by christian » Tue May 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Reinstalling the old version, rebooting, etc. is somewhat time consuming, so I understand if you rather want to avoid that. 4.0.6 is the current stable version available at https://obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/download.html.

You say that the configuration.xpl from the backup cannot be read? Now that's interesting. The file stores all your Little Snitch preference settings and all your rules, but not connection statistics. We'd be glad to analyze it. Please send it to our support using the form at https://obdev.at/support/index.html?pro ... ic=contact (technical question).

Thanks!

CarlosMan

Post by CarlosMan » Tue May 29, 2018 8:58 pm

... Already sent.
I plan to keep this version, but I reconfigured some rules that have disappeared and I hope they stay even when new update is installed.
I also turned on the Time Machine.

Thanks

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by christian » Wed May 30, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks for the XPL file!

BTW: If you don't have TimeMachine, you can make explicit rule and configuration backups from Little Snitch Configuration: File > Create Backup...