Little Snitch falsely showing almost no traffic

General discussions about Little Snitch
Hig

Little Snitch falsely showing almost no traffic

Post by Hig » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 pm

I'm a potential new user of Little Snitch - I picked up the demo a bit over a week ago because I had some evidence that some mysterious process was sucking up a lot of bandwidth. I installed it over a week ago, but the network monitor shows basically no traffic. For instance, Chrome is my primary browser and I've been using it heavily, but for a long time it wasn't even mentioned on the network monitor, and now it says the last activity was a week ago with only 7 k of data upload, and no download. In the past hour of browsing news and doing online research, it shows no activity of any kind.

Presumably there's something dumb I'm missing here - this product seems user friendly and effective for many users, and I'd love to have its functionality. But right now it's useless - what am I doing wrong?

(One note of possible-relevance, I'm accessing the internet via a wifi hotspot on an Android phone in Bolivia. The hotspot is through an app called NetShare, and I'm on the Entel network in Bolivia. It's a pretty funky service provider, but it seems like that shouldn't be a problem for Little Snitch?)

Hig

Re: Little Snitch falsely showing almost no traffic

Post by Hig » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Update: I determined that the issue does in some way relate to routing network traffic through wireless from my phone on a cell network. On a more conventional wireless Little Snitch seems to work as it should. (However, it's less useful because strictly controlling my network activity isn't so critical when I'm not spending precious megabytes on my phone.)

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Little Snitch falsely showing almost no traffic

Post by marco » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:05 pm

When you use your phone’s internet connection, is that just a normal WiFi connection from your Mac’s perspective or is there anything special that you have to do first? For example, is there some kind of VPN involved or a proxy that runs on your Mac? Or is your phone configured as a proxy?

Also, please try to enable local network traffic in Little Snitch Network Monitor (View > Show Local Network). Do you see different results then? Maybe the traffic is not visible in Little Snitch because everything is routed through your phone somehow and that is considered to be in the local network (i.e. all network requests go to your phone and that routes them further on instead of the network requests going to their actual destinations).