What AntiVirus software do you use with Little Snitch?

General discussions about Little Snitch
mcgroarty

What AntiVirus software do you use with Little Snitch?

Post by mcgroarty » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 pm

Most modern AntiVirus software includes a firewall component, and this doesn't play well with Little Snitch.

Those of you who run AntiVirus software along with Little Snitch, what AV software do you use and how well does it work for you?

mcgroarty

Re: What AntiVirus software do you use with Little Snitch?

Post by mcgroarty » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:15 pm

So far I'm not having any luck. The only workable candidate seems to be Avast!, which fully disables interception when the network options are turned off. However, Avast! includes pop-up ads for other Avast! products even in the paid version. I don't want to pay to install adware on my machine.

Are others not using AV software at all?

DerekCurrie

Post by DerekCurrie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Of the paid anti-malware apps for macOS, I use Intego VirusBarrier and have never had any troubles between it and LittleSnitch. I originally bought it years back alongside Intego NetBarrier, which has its own 'reverse firewall' similar to Little Snitch. I simply turned off that feature and have had no conflict problems. Intego is an excellent company with whom I've been dealing for over 10 years.

Of the free anti-malware apps for macOS, Malwarebytes is terrific. You have to pay for an upgrade to get real-time malware scanning. But manual scanning may be all you need/want. It has no conflicts with Little Snitch.

If you're on macOS and regularly work with Windows files and software, I highly recommend ClamXav shareware. It provides protection against both Windows specific and Mac specific malware with real time scanning (if you buy it directly from the developer), within a simple graphical user interface. It also has no conflicts with Little Snitch.

mcgroarty

Post by mcgroarty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:17 am

Thank you for the suggestions.

In the forums for Avast Antivirus, Avast's Mac product lead says they will introduce an option for paid users to disable the promotional pop ups. This means I'll probably return to Avast. Its hit on system performance is minimal, and every review I've seen has it at or near the top for detection rates.

Now to wait and see if they actually deliver on the new advertising option...

mcgroarty

Post by mcgroarty » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:23 am

In case this is of interest to anyone else:

Avast didn't deliver, but I've finally landed on BitDefender. According to multiple reviews it has a near perfect virus and PUA detection rate, and it has the lowest system overhead of any other Mac AV software. Of interest to Little Snitch users, it doesn't mess with network attribution. Instead of using a kernel extension, its web traffic monitoring is done with standard browser extensions.

It took a lot of trial and error with other AV products, but I'm happy now. Little Snitch and BitDefender coexist perfectly.

El Perro Che

Post by El Perro Che » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:11 pm

Avast had good reviews for Mac so I installed Security (paid version), it's VPN, and password manager yesterday. I think I made a huge mistake. I have a Airport Time Capsule between my devices and modem set to create a network and the VPN immediately began wreaking havoc by blasting outgoing connections like some kind of shock and awe thing. Every time I disconnected it, it immediately reconnected and my devices were doing the same. When I looked on LS the [b]Avast[/b] proxy was making connections faster than I could deny them to hundreds of unknown IP addresses all over the world and what I later determined were a list of my saved work addresses that included sensitive gov't sites that I am actually a little worried about (I just left the public sector).

I got Avast on the phone, did a screen share and as the rep and I watched together she had no idea what to do except that she would pass the info on. She recommended I run their anti-virus. I asked if someone would be getting back to me since I'd just paid them $150 and she said I could email feedback to them. I've uninstalled all of the software but I see that on LS that I didn't get it all as there is still incoming/outgoing.

BTW, to answer the question (please forgive the details above), I've also burned through Kaspersky, an accidental McAcfee installation (my bank), and currently use Malwarebytes because Apple told me to. I give up. If anyone has any thoughts I would be grateful. I did notice on an Avast Forum that there were some issues that other users of LS have identified. I am wondering if there is any connection.

MichealHeitz

Post by MichealHeitz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:33 pm

I stopped using Antivirus software for a long time because of two reasons:

1. It never blocked any virus completely
2. It always used to detect only minor level threats.....more dangerous ones were never even detected

And the one I was using was Avast......

El Perro Che

Post by El Perro Che » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:31 am

Thanks so much for the reply. Very interesting. Watching LS freaks me out so I’ve stopped watching. Think I’ll follow your lead and live a little. 8)

Protagonistic

Post by Protagonistic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:20 pm

I have been using Sophos free version with LS for many years and have never had a problem. I might add I tried most of the commercial AV programs off and on over the years and found Sophos free to be the best fit for my needs.

Welshdog

Post by Welshdog » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:41 pm

I just tried installing Sophos Home free and it kept failing because Little Snitch was blocking a connection. Something about "Applications that update themselves without restarting". I gave up trying to fix it and uninstalled Sophos.

alexveaux

Post by alexveaux » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:15 am

I have seen some very bad adware in the past few years. Plenty of installs of OSX.Pirrit, which digs into the firewall to forward all port 80 traffic through a local proxy server to inject ads. Easy enough to clean up, but a massive headache.
https://www.buyassignmentservice.com/

newyork10023

Post by newyork10023 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:28 pm

ESET Cyber Security Pro, or whatever they are calling it now.

QODE

Post by QODE » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:03 am

newyork10023 wrote:ESET Cyber Security Pro, or whatever they are calling it now.

I also use ESET but had to uninstall it. What it does is it creates a proxy (esets_proxy) which all http and https access go through. You can’t identify which app is trying to access outbound connections. Everything goes through the proxy which defeats the purpose of using Little Snitch.