Any chance for a Linux version of Little Snitch?

General discussions about Little Snitch
snitchme

Any chance for a Linux version of Little Snitch?

Post by snitchme » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:35 pm

I am surprised no one else seems to have asked this, at least not recently, but I am finding that each new version of MacOS seems to be causing more problems for me. It's now to the point that I am thinking very seriously about abandoning MacOS entirely and moving to Linux, but one thing that stops me is that I can't seem to find anything like Little Snitch in the Linux world. So, I was just wondering if you have ever considered porting Little Snitch to Linux - if not Linux generally, then at least to Ubuntu Linux and maybe Linux Mint. Since both Linux and MacOS are somewhat based on Unix, I have to wonder how hard it would be to do such a port. You'd likely pick up some additional customers, and you'd make those of us that have both MacOS and Linux systems happy.

If there is anything similar to Little Snitch for Linux that is currently available, I'm unaware of it. It looks like some guy started to try to make a Little Snitch clone for Linux (he called it OpenSnitch) but it never got past the alpha stage, perhaps you could fork and build on his code (then again maybe not due to licensing). What scares me about that is that on his Github page he says "Warning: This is still alpha quality software, don't rely on it (yet) for your computer security." Well what is the point if you can't rely on it? So since you guys have so much experience in this area, I wish you'd consider making a Linux port of Little Snitch, that would actually be supported.

Alternately, if you have no plans to do that, are you aware of any other programs similar to Little Snitch that you would recommend for Linux users? Because I am really starting to feel as though Apple no longer cares about the desktop market, or they have lost their most talented programmers, or something has happened that has caused MacOS to deteriorate in quality.

ctwise
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Any chance for a Linux version of Little Snitch?

Post by ctwise » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:01 pm

I love, love, love Linux. Use it every single day. I have dozens of Linux boxes and VMs I use at my home. From light-weight Docker instances to an HP ProLiant server. The one thing I don't use it for? A daily desktop machine. Linux doesn't suck at being a desktop. It's much better then it used to be. But macOS is still far superior.

The Mac is not a good server. You can't scale it down and you can't scale it up. You can't use it as a Docker base. But it makes for a buttery smooth desktop. The GUI apps available for it are so much better then the GUI apps available for Linux. It's not a coincidence that Macs make up a huge percentage of developers machines at conferences.

I've witnessed developers online and in real-life decide to transition to Linux machines and then make the transition back 3-6 months later. Sometimes due to driver issues, sometimes to weird keyboard inconsistencies, sometimes due to missing apps. Your mileage may vary, but I doubt it.

snitchme

Re: Any chance for a Linux version of Little Snitch?

Post by snitchme » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:11 am

There was a time not so long ago that I would have agreed with you about about the Mac being better than Linux for a desktop, but lately every new version of MacOS seems to have less functionality and more problems. For me at least, it's no longer a buttery smooth experience at all. In fact High Sierra has given me more problems and headaches than I had with Windows 2000, back when I used to run that.

But that is beside the point. If you are that familiar with both operating systems, why not release a version of Little Snitch for Linux? Even if you don't prefer Linux on your desktop, a lot of users do, for all manner of reasons. Even people who use a Mac for their primary machine may have other machines that they are running Linux on, or they may have some sort of dual-booting arrangement where they can boot into MacOS or Linux. Whatever the reason, it would be really great to have something like Little Snitch as a layer of protection on those systems.

Just out of curiosity, is there something about the Linux kernel that would make it more difficult to develop a Linux version than it was to develop the Mac version? And since you say you use Linux every day, and have dozens of Linux boxes, have you found any way to protect them in a manner similar to Little Snitch? If so, may I ask what you're using, and if not, wouldn't you like to have that added layer of protection?