micro snitch logs

General discussions about Little Snitch
somethingsomething

micro snitch logs

Postby somethingsomething » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 am

Hello,

I am getting these logs every 10 seconds. I've removed the Micro Snitch app and restarted, but it looks like something else is trying to launch it. Any ideas on how to fix this up?

Thanks.

----------
Feb 14 17:48:05 xxxx com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (at.obdev.MicroSnitchOpenAtLoginHelper[856]): Could not find and/or execute program specified by service: 155: Refusing to execute/trust quarantined program/file: at.obdev.MicroSnitchOpenAtLoginHelper
Feb 14 17:48:05 xxxx com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (at.obdev.MicroSnitchOpenAtLoginHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Feb 14 17:48:15 xxxx com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (at.obdev.MicroSnitchOpenAtLoginHelper[857]): Could not find and/or execute program specified by service: 155: Refusing to execute/trust quarantined program/file: at.obdev.MicroSnitchOpenAtLoginHelper
Feb 14 17:48:15 xxxx com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (at.obdev.MicroSnitchOpenAtLoginHelper): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
----------

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: micro snitch logs

Postby marco » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:08 pm

It sounds to me like Micro Snitch (or rather a helper contained in it that is used to launch Micro Snitch when you log in) cannot be executed because it is quarantined. I assume you downloaded Micro Snitch from our website? If you then unzipped and moved the app to the Applications folder, Finder should have removed the quarantine flag, but sometimes this doesn’t work properly. To fix this, you’ll have to remove that flag manually using the Terminal. But you have removed Micro Snitch already, so there’s nothing you could remove that flag from ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Could you please install Micro Snitch again, open its preferences, and uncheck “Open at login”? This should tell macOS to remove Micro Snitch from the things to launch, which should make these messages to appear.

If you decide you want to keep using Micro Snitch and these messages appear again, you can use the following command in Terminal to remove the quarantine flag:

Code: Select all

xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/Micro Snitch.app/"

somethingsomething

Postby somethingsomething » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:59 am

Hi Marco,

I added the app again and unchecked 'open at login' (i can't believe i didn't see that before :o ) and the logs stopped. I rechecked 'open at login' and the logs started again, I then ran that command <xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/Micro Snitch.app/"> but the logs kept coming.

After moving the app to the app folder and first running it I received the dialog box with <...is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?> I imagine these logs have something to do with that?

Cheers.

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby marco » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 am

somethingsomething wrote:[…] I then ran that command <xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/Micro Snitch.app/"> but the logs kept coming.

Did you run that command after moving the app to the /Applications folder? Otherwise it wouldn’t do anything.

[quote="somethingsomething"After moving the app to the app folder and first running it I received the dialog box with <...is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?> I imagine these logs have something to do with that?[/quote]

IIRC, the com.apple.quarantine flag is set when Safari downloads a file. If that flag is set, macOS asks you once if you really want to open that application (as you quoted). When you move the app using Finder, that flag should be cleared, which should make that message go away and also make the log messages go away. But again, it seems as if Finder sometimes doesn’t do this properly and you’ll have to help a bit with that Terminal command.

somethingsomething

Postby somethingsomething » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:38 am

Hi Marco,

I ran the command after moving the app into the Applications folder. I can live with it as it is as I don't reboot much, but it would be good know why. Look's like not many people have this issue though.

Cheers.

Return to “Little Snitch General”