Confused about how to use Silent Mode

General discussions about Little Snitch
davraamides

Confused about how to use Silent Mode

Postby davraamides » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:02 pm

I'm new to LS and have started using it in the recommended Silent Mode - Allow Connections. After a week of using it I opened the Network Monitor and filtered the list of rules by Unconfirmed. Then I've been clicking the checkmark next to the ones I want to confirm/approve. But when I do so, while these rules are marked green on the Network Monitor, they are added to the Unapproved Rules list in the Configuration window.

That doesn't make sense to me. I would think by confirming them I'm approving them. What is the recommended way to confirm/approve rules collected during Silent Mode such that I can switch to Alert Mode and have confidence that I won't be breaking any of my apps? Do I need to confirm them from the Network Monitor and then approve them from the Unapproved Rules in the configuration? Why the two-step process?

Thanks,
-David

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Confused about how to use Silent Mode

Postby marco » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Hello David,

There’s a preference in Little Snitch Configuration > Preferences > Advanced (the first checkbox):
Advanced Preferences.png

… but it seems like there’s a bug in Little Snitch Network Monitor that ignores that preference and instead always creates unapproved rules. So thank you for the bug report!

What you describe is the recommended way of building up your initial ruleset: Use Silent Mode – Allow Connections for a while, then allow/deny connections in the Little Snitch Network Monitor.

Anyhow: The intention is that all rules that are created outside of Little Snitch Configuration are marked in this way. Please note that “unapproved” rules still work as expected, they are simply marked for later review. This way of doing things is from a time when creating rules from Little Snitch Network Monitor was not possible yet. Maybe it’s time to review that term.

drevicko

Postby drevicko » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 am

Hi Marco,

Could I ask you to post a quick reminder on how to review unapproved rules here?

Just for reference for others like me who stumble apon this and find they would like to review them (:

Cheers
Ian

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby marco » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:09 pm

drevicko wrote:Could I ask you to post a quick reminder on how to review unapproved rules here?

Open Little Snitch Configuration and select “Unapproved Rules” in the list on the left-hand side. The right-hand side explains the purpose of this filter as follows:

Rules created outside of Little Snitch Configuration (e.g. via Connection Alert) are tagged as unapproved, allowing you to review them later here.

Refer to the individual rule’s notes, or see the Little Snitch Help, chapter Anatomy of a rule – Unapproved for more information.

Return to “Little Snitch General”