Stop recording browsing history!

General discussions about Little Snitch
rccp

Re: Stop recording browsing history!

Postby rccp » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:56 pm

very strange. i went ahead and deleted the configuration file and it did not seem to slow little snitch at all. nothing was lost.

rccp

Postby rccp » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:19 pm

i uninstalled and reinstalled LS and now the files seem to be where they should be. whatever problem I was having might have been related to the fact that I originally installed LS several OS upgrades ago.

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:51 pm

You might have been using version 3 then. Version 3 did not persist connection history over restarts.

boardhead

Postby boardhead » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 pm

I would like to be able to exclude specific apps from the history database. Is this a planned feature?

justin1911

Postby justin1911 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:45 am

This raises concerns about how PHI/PII is handled in Little Snitch. I hope that ObDev is looking in to the regulatory implications e.g. HIPAA, or the EU's new requirement that will be going live in the next 1-2 months.

I don't know much about those laws, but it sounds as if this could be treading on to that territory.

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm

I agree that there should be better control over the data available in Network Monitor. I can't promise a time frame, though. But we are aware of the problem.

Regarding PII, PHI and GDPR: These are about data related to persons. Network Monitor stores connection information. All this info is about the user of the machine, and nobody else has access to this information because the data is stored in encrypted format. So I don't see any violation of regulations here.

greenblue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby greenblue » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Any update on an emergency fix for this? I just saw where every website I've ever been to in Safari is recorded in Network Monitor. I was not expecting this behavior and I don't see any way to stop it for Safari. This is a terrible privacy flaw for those who may get their Mac compromised.

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Sorry, we don't have a solution for this problem yet. Currently your only option is to regularly delete Safari from the list (Cmd-Delete) or to disable Network Monitor completely.

greenblue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby greenblue » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:33 pm

Where can we find timely updates on the progress in addressing this issue? Will you be updating this specific thread in this forum here?

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:02 am

I cannot guarantee a timeframe. We would like to see this feature before summer, but if something more important (e.g. reported vulnerabilities or relevant bugs) gets in between, we have to defer it. You'll see new versions in the software update and this particular feature will be listed as "hide from Monitor rules" or similar in the release notes.

grettke

Postby grettke » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:55 pm

christian wrote:You CAN delete the history. Just select all connections in Network Monitor and press Cmd-Delete or right-click them and choose "Delete".

In version Version 4.1 (5167) the right click menu item seems to be "Remove from List" in case any saw this on their box (I do on mine :D ).

Wiener

Postby Wiener » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Neither Select-All + Cmd-Delete nor right click + "Remove from List" stops the connection history from being re-started as soon as an application runs again. I tried removing/deleting Firefox from LS's connection history using all available options, but as soon as I launch Firefox again, its connection history is back in theere again and growing...

I wonder why such an obvious breech of privacy is still part and parcel of Little Snitch...

Developers, are you listening?

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Little Snitch is doing it this way since almost 15 years and it's just now that people begin to complain. Regarding privacy: Little Snitch shows this information to YOU, the owner of the computer and the person who initiated the connections. It becomes a problem only if you let somebody else use your computer. And then you're giving that person access to almost everything...

Having that said: We understand that it's not a good feeling to see all the web sites you visited listed in a single place. Somebody may be looking over your shoulder and see things never meant to be seen. It's therefore planned to add a new kind of rule, the "hide from network monitor" rule action. I still can't promise a release date for that, since we are currently busy working on fixes for 4.1.

RandalJ

Postby RandalJ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:21 pm

christian wrote:Little Snitch is doing it this way since almost 15 years and it's just now that people begin to complain. Regarding privacy: Little Snitch shows this information to YOU, the owner of the computer and the person who initiated the connections. It becomes a problem only if you let somebody else use your computer. And then you're giving that person access to almost everything...

Having that said: We understand that it's not a good feeling to see all the web sites you visited listed in a single place. Somebody may be looking over your shoulder and see things never meant to be seen. It's therefore planned to add a new kind of rule, the "hide from network monitor" rule action. I still can't promise a release date for that, since we are currently busy working on fixes for 4.1.

It's not a big surprise that many people speak up more about these things in this current day and age. A lot has changed in the last 15 years. Privacy is close to being dead. Governments and corporate businesses are spying on everyone nowadays, even if they lack the legal grounds. It's immoral, it's wrong. I don't understand why this is not a major priority for developers like yourself offering security focused software. I get that the connection database of stored connections is stored locally on an encrypted SQL database but this could be used against people when a possible advisory can access the computer or forces someone to unlock it. This can happen without their own consent. Think of the implications it can have for your customers who live in oppressive countries like China or Russia. :!: :|

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:55 pm

"Hide from Network Monitor" rules are now available in version 4.1.4 nightly (build 5188). Some fine tuning is still required, but the feature will be in the next release.

Note: If you add a rule to hide connections from Network Monitor, connections stored so far are not automatically deleted. You must do that manually. Also note that only connections currently visible are can be deleted in Network Monitor (with the delete key or from the context menu). So make sure you have no filter (e.g. only recent connections).

Return to “Little Snitch General”