Little Snitch Network Monitor (v.4.0.2) displays nothing but window border in Sierra 10.12.6 (latest)

General discussions about Little Snitch
splifingate

Little Snitch Network Monitor (v.4.0.2) displays nothing but window border in Sierra 10.12.6 (latest)

Postby splifingate » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:35 am

Greetings.

Since my recent update to 4.0.2, "Show Network Monitor" gives me a window with an outline and shading, but no observable content.

Right-click (two-finger on trackpad) provides contextual menus and actions, but nothing more, so it seems the content is 'there', but not viewable.

http://andyrew.info/images/misc/LSNM_v4.0.2.jpg

Network Monitor is, to me, the most important part of my analysis of what is happening (in <-> out) on my system, and I am bereft ;(

Help me, please, to help you to make this work as it did in v.3, again.

Regards, Andyrew

stoersignal

Re: Little Snitch Network Monitor (v.4.0.2) displays nothing but window border in Sierra 10.12.6 (latest)

Postby stoersignal » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:09 pm

same problem here! (it was working for about 1 month, though)

have you found a solution yet?
actually i have a family license for lS 3 and at the moment i`m running 4 in demo modus which is pretty annoying, but i don`T want to buy it until issues like that are fixed
i guess i have to roll back to 3

Pfeife

Re: Little Snitch Network Monitor (v.4.0.2) displays nothing but window border in Sierra 10.12.6 (latest)

Postby Pfeife » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:16 am

Same for me. Network Monitor displays nothing but a window border. And you can't close that zombie window! Very annoying.

Deleted 4.0.2 and reinstalled 3.7.4. Luckilly it seems to have kept my rules.

@Obdev: You really should fix this bug asap.

akg

Postby akg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Same problem here! :?
No @Obdev reply ......

bugmenot

Postby bugmenot » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:46 am

same here, it works on my macbookpro late 2008 with 10.11.x but not on the macpro 2011 with 10.12.
does this only occur on machines with a GFX card Nvidia 10xx ?

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Looks like the NVIDIA driver problem:

The NVIDIA Graphics Drivers (as opposed to the original drivers provided by Apple) need to inject program code into running apps and Little Snitch (and other apps like iBooks) do not allow this due to security reasons. When Little Snitch needs to render on the discrete GPU and NVIDIA's drivers are used, the rendering fails.

The official solution to this problem is to revert back to Apple's drivers. Little Snitch can load these.

If you manage to hide the Map View and Inspector (blindly hit the buttons in the tool bar) and restart Network Monitor, the window might render as it should be drawn by the built-in GPU in this case.

Since not only Little Snitch is affected by this problem, there might be dirty hacks floating around. Note that these hacks impair system security!

splifingate

Postby splifingate » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:54 am

Regards, Christian.

I'm displaying all "these things" on my 5,1 with an nVidia 980ti (Founder's Edition; modded firmware w/BS).

How might you suggest--if you were to suggest such a thing--I submit a 'bug' report to nVidia?

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:34 am

We have already been in contact with NVIDIA. The problem is as follows: If we set a flag in our executables which indicates that we care about security, code injection and these things, the kernel allows loading of libraries signed by us (obdev.at) and apple.com only, but not by NVIDIA.

NVIDIA, on the other hand, cannot sign their library as apple.com, they don't have the appropriate certificate for that. And they cannot sign it as obdev.at, of course.

Apple would have to sign these libraries, and they do it, but only once in a while as part of their OS. If you want the latest and greatest version, it's signed by NVIDIA.

So, all this is not a bug, it's a security feature. Unfortunately it impairs legitimate software...

splifingate

Postby splifingate » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:14 am

Thank you, Christian, for the very informative response.

Hopefully, Apple will take-heed of nVidia's new-found appreciation of improved hardware/drivers :)

It's not that I dis-like AMD (and the Apple-apporved Sapphire 79XX I used (used-to-use)), but that I just needed more real estate said card is unable to accommodate.

No-matter, as I value-more knowing what comes-in/goes-out, daily.

Just sad that I can't appreciate the new NM :(

Regards, splifingate

splifingate

Postby splifingate » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:17 am

p.s., Christian:

If I were to revert to v.3.x.y, how would you suggest the "best" way I would do so?

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:40 am

Just install the latest 3.7.4 package and it should work. Some settings may have been modified during the upgrade, though, but not the rules.

splifingate

Postby splifingate » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Thank you for the prompt attention, Christian.

I will keep 4.x.y on the MBP (totally fantastic soft), and revert the MP to 3.x.y for the time-being ;/

Regards, splifingate

bugmenot

Postby bugmenot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi,

now, coming to the workarounds, someone from the macx86 scene wrote a kernel extension that solves the problem!

pls. carefully read the following thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solv ... 29/page-17

kernel extension is available on github:
https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverL ... x/releases

maybe this knowledge help to find a solution for little snitch that makes installing such an additional extension obsolete ;-)

greetz, from AT

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:25 am

We cannot implement this mechanism because it works as follows: The KEXT identifies itself as being from com.apple and thus gets access to private API in the kernel. It then modifies the function which checks whether a library may be loaded. I don't know how precise it is, either it removes the protection altogether, or it adds NVIDIA to the list of allowed sources.

We cannot ship a kernel extension which claims to be from Apple. And we cannot recommend a hack which disables parts of the operating system's security mechanisms.

bugmenot

Postby bugmenot » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi Christian,

as far as I understood, this issue will not be fixed, so it will be a known permanent open issue.
Is there really no another option to get the map graphic rendered?

Else, can you please ensure this will be officially stated and listed in the product specification and requirements?
Until then it is not clear that the product is incompatible with certain nvidia cards (drivers) and therefore some touted features does not work as offered.
Is there something like a refund program available, as some customers who had bought the upgrade might get unsatisfied caused by this graphic bug and being forced to downgrade.

thanks

Return to “Little Snitch General”