installation & corrupted disk

General discussions about Little Snitch
lessig

installation & corrupted disk

Postby lessig » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:38 pm

FWIW:

I just tried to install 4.01 (I believe). The system rebooted, and then got stuck rebooting. After some finagling, I got to the recovery disk and ran disk utility. The disk was now corrupted and it has forced me to a backup. I can't say for sure that the update did this. I can only say for sure that the machine was working, and now it is not.

Ceon

Re: installation & corrupted disk

Postby Ceon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:45 am

I experienced something similar. I updated to version 4 of Little Snitch, and soon thereafter experienced a total freeze without any warning and without the MacOs/OSX "You need to restart your computer" message. Restarted, clicked on the little Snitch menu and it froze again. Restarted and it behaved normal for quite a while, but I had a couple of more freezes in the next 2-3 days... then a freeze, and the internal SSD/system disk had become damaged and needed to be replaced.
Of course it is *possible* that this all happened because the SSD was already failing and that was causing the freezes, but the SSD was only 1 years old and had never had any errors or issues before installing Little Snitch, and I have never experienced freezes like this before installing Little Snitch 4, but they started almost immediately thereafter.

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Installing software (including Little Snitch) cannot destroy your SSD. In your case, I'm quite sure the freeze was caused by the SSD.

When you shut down your computer with a hard reset, you usually get a panic log (or something similar) and the computer asks you to send a report to Apple. When you get this, please send us a copy to our support (https://www.obdev.at/support/index.html ... ic=contact). You can find these reports in Console.app under "System Reports". I currently don't have such a log file, so I don't know how it's named. Must be something like "Kernel.panic".

Ceon

Postby Ceon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:08 am

Thank you for your reply.
It was definitely my impression that it was Little Snitch that was the cause of the freeze, it started almost immediately after updating the program to version 4. And yes, the freeze was almost certainly the cause of the damage to the SSD.
I should have copied the log when it froze the first couple of times(at least two times when I clicked on the Little Snitch in the menu bar), but I didn't unfortunately, and after the SSD was damaged, I had to replace it and reinstall everything from a backup which was over a month old, so there were no logs of this freezing there.
After reinstalling, I decided to stay on version 3.7.4 for a while, and not upgrade before the program has been updated.

Is version 4 of Little Snitch in some way more invasive of the system files than version 3.7.4?

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:04 pm

Version 4 has the Map View in Network Monitor. This is a system component which links tons of libraries, connects to several daemons and caches lots of vector data. So yes, it's more invasive, unless you keep the Map View closed.

Ceon

Postby Ceon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Alright, that could be the explanation.
I think I will wait with updating Little Snitch for a while, but I suspect I might have to when upgrading to High Sierra... when I will, I might try disabling the map if I get any freezing again. Thanks for advise.

By the way, perhaps it could be nice to be able to install Little Snitch in a "light" mode, without the map and any extras, making it use less resources.

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 pm

The map is not allocated until you open it for the first time. There should be no other "extras" using more resources than in LS 3. The map is open by default when you install LS 4, so that everybody can discover our cool new feature :-). So you open it at least once. When you close it, it has already been allocated. In order to free the resources, turn off Network Monitor in Little Snitch preferences and turn it on again.

Ceon

Postby Ceon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:11 am

Yeah, the map feature is definitely cool. If I get any more crashes after updating, I will try turning it off... but for now I am just going to stay on LS 3.7.4... thanks...

Ceon

Postby Ceon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:22 am

I almost forgot to update this...
I installed Little Snitch 4 again(slightly newer version), after updating High Sierra with the supplemental update, and have not had any problems since... so either my problems were simply due to something else(disk issues, corrupt system, etc), or the problems have been resolved with the updates of Little Snitch and High Sierra. :)

Return to “Little Snitch General”