HomeBrew Users?

General discussions about Little Snitch
aragnophy

Re: HomeBrew Users?

Post by aragnophy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:12 am

It is a real problem for me, when I need to debug my golang application. After every minor code change and compilation, I need to approve connection from this "new" binary file. Is there is any way to add some path to exception list (allow all connections from specific paths)?

For example Visual Studio Code creates temporary paths every time like this "/Applications/Visual Studio Code.app/Contents/MacOS/Electron via /private/var/folders/mm/hbg7g_0j46g8zlpryykmy1zc0000gq/T/go-build266553129/command-line-arguments/_obj/exe/main"

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by marco » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:49 am

@bachjs: I’m afraid, there’s no satisfying answer I can give you right now. Today, Little Snitch rules need an executable’s path to stay the same. In the future, we want to add code signature based rules that allow the path to change. But AFAIK, virtualenv has its own set of problems regarding code signature issues. From what I’ve read, it modifies the executables themselves, which breaks any code signature. Therefore, I’m not sure if these code signature based rules will be of any help here.

@aragnophy: If you can’t convince Visual Studio Code to always use the same path for the “via executable”, you could still create rules for just “Visual Studio Code” (in contrast to “Visual Studio Code via main”). You can simply edit the existing rules and remove the “via” and everything after it. This works because rules for an app automatically also cover any tools launched by that app.
Note that you may have to uncheck “Require valid code signature” for these rules if you don’t code sign your build product after every change.

aragnophy

Post by aragnophy » Wed May 02, 2018 7:30 am

marco wrote:@aragnophy: If you can’t convince Visual Studio Code to always use the same path for the “via executable”, you could still create rules for just “Visual Studio Code” (in contrast to “Visual Studio Code via main”). You can simply edit the existing rules and remove the “via” and everything after it. This works because rules for an app automatically also cover any tools launched by that app.
Note that you may have to uncheck “Require valid code signature” for these rules if you don’t code sign your build product after every change.

Thanks a lot, didn't know that I can edit rules like this!

roberto

Post by roberto » Thu May 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Same here. I use Python heavily at work and am continually getting the "code signature invalid" warning. Would be great to get some sort of whitelist for this workflow. Specifically, I use the pipenv [1] tool for development. It uses virtualenv under the hood so fixing one should fix the other.

Thank you!

[1] https://github.com/pypa/pipenv

slimbrick

Post by slimbrick » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:53 pm

I literally just started using Little Snitch 4 and had problems measuring my home's LAN network throughput using a HomeBrew installed iperf3. I searched for "iperf3" in this forum and prior to thinking of searching for "HomeBrew" I made my own post (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11365). Unfortunately I haven't yet digested this post well enough such that I know if I can fix my invalid code signature problem, so I'd appreciate any advice on my post.

Thanks
Slim

HatfulOfDoves

Post by HatfulOfDoves » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:37 am

LS is telling me Atom's node is unsigned.