Incoming Connection using VPN & UDP

General discussions about Little Snitch
Psamathe

Incoming Connection using VPN & UDP

Post by Psamathe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Connecting to internet through VPN using Viscosity/OpenVPN and all fine under LS 3 but under LS 4 mostly fine except I'm getting periodic reports of incoming connections being refused on ports 49000 upwards from the IP address of the VPN server "connecting" (except it's using UDP protocol) to my OpenVPN process.

They are happening every hour or so (not exactly, bust several a day).

I don't understand why these were never reported under LS 3 nor how you have "a connection" under UDP

Qu: From a security perspective should I be allowing these on any port (listing VPN server IP addresses, UDP protocol) or could they be a threat. I don't have any great issues against creating a rule to e.g. allow listed VPN server IPs, UDP and any port PROVIDED I'm not opening myself up to a security risk (and thus negating the reason for having LS to start with)

Note: my VPN provider is a paid service and I believe reliable and I'm not questioning anything their servers might be doing).

Many thanks (and probably only a question because of my limited understanding)

Toshen

Re: Incoming Connection using VPN & UDP

Post by Toshen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Similar question (in my case, Tunnelblick/ProtonVPN). Similar status of limited understanding. Thanks.

RunCabbageRun

Re: Incoming Connection using VPN & UDP

Post by RunCabbageRun » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:50 am

Instead of making a new thread, I'm here looking for answers to the same question as well.

I also use Tunnelblick / ProtonVPN and I get these strange incoming connection requests as well. They get denied EVEN THOUGH I have an allow all incoming connection from this process for any port/protocol. It might have something to do with the code signature, but there is no warning of that...