Map not rendering

General discussions about Little Snitch
marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Map not rendering

Postby marco » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:55 am

@newyork10023: That behavior where the whole Little Snitch Network Monitor window is completely transparent and the only thing you can see is the window’s shadow is actually a known issue that we’re in contact with Apple about. As you found out, this only happens when you use NVIDIA’s drivers.

The issue is that those drivers inject a library written by NVIDIA into each and every process that is running on the system, causing NVIDIA’s code to run in them. This is a common attack vector for malware, too, so Little Snitch uses a mechanism in macOS that prevents this from happening. Other apps use this mechanism, too, like iBooks. The result is that the app’s window becomes transparent.

There is no official workaround for this issue at the moment, but we hope that Apple and NVIDIA will figure something out. There are tinker solutions out there on the web to get this working, but those severely undermine the security of your Mac. I cannot recommend using them.

Jedis

Postby Jedis » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 am

marco wrote:@There are tinker solutions out there on the web to get this working, but those severely undermine the security of your Mac. I cannot recommend using them.

Would you mind posting it anyway or linking to the said "hacks?" I am aware of the risks, but would like to see if this resolves the issue.

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby marco » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Let me reiterate that I do not recommend doing this.

Anyway, here you go: You can find that hack by searching for “nvidia web driver fix” on github.com. The source code and Xcode project to compile a kernel extension are available there. For that to be loadable, a special kernel extension code signing certificate by Apple is required, or you have to deactivate system integrity protection on your Mac. That’s one more thing that I do not recommend.

Jedis

Postby Jedis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:08 am

marco wrote:Let me reiterate that I do not recommend doing this.

Anyway, here you go: You can find that hack by searching for “nvidia web driver fix” on github.com. The source code and Xcode project to compile a kernel extension are available there. For that to be loadable, a special kernel extension code signing certificate by Apple is required, or you have to deactivate system integrity protection on your Mac. That’s one more thing that I do not recommend.

Thank you. Are you speaking of kext-dev-mode?

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby marco » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:49 am

No, the kext-dev-mode boot argument is not supported anymore, as mentioned here:
https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... sions.html

I’m referring to System Integrity Protection:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899
https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... 62-CH5-SW1

Return to “Little Snitch General”