Network Monitor does not open in V4.0

General discussions about Little Snitch
LazyOtto

Network Monitor does not open in V4.0

Post by LazyOtto » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:55 am

Only get a translucent window with no contents when attempting to open Network Monitor. Size of that empty window changes when toggling view/hide Inspector/<others>.

Version 4.0 (purchased / installed today as upgrade from 3.x)
Core / Kernel - 5075 / 5075

Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core
OSX 10.12.5
Nvidia GTX 980ti (With web drivers, of course.)

==
Used version 3.x for years with no problems.
I really miss having network monitor. :(

LazyOtto

Re: Network Monitor does not open in V4.0

Post by LazyOtto » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:04 am

~/Library/Logs/Little Snitch Network Monitor.log

Code: Select all

2017-07-07 00:01:15.651 Little Snitch Network Monitor[772:37551] Little Snitch Network Monitor version 5075 started.
2017-07-07 00:01:15.753 Little Snitch Network Monitor[772:37551] NOTICE: key TALLogoutSavesState doesn't exist in domain com.apple.loginwindow
2017-07-07 00:01:16.119 Little Snitch Network Monitor[772:37551] Error loading /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceMTLDriverWeb.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceMTLDriverWeb:  dlopen(/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceMTLDriverWeb.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceMTLDriverWeb, 265): no suitable image found.  Did find:
        /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceMTLDriverWeb.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceMTLDriverWeb: code signature in (/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceMTLDriverWeb.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceMTLDriverWeb) not valid for use in process using Library Validation: mapping process and mapped file (non-platform) have different Team IDs

newsnitcher

Post by newsnitcher » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Does the same thing for me.

I have a nvidia card too.

Markus23

Post by Markus23 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:34 pm

HI,

got same problem here, also with nvidia webdriver.

Anything we can do or provide to solve this problem ?

Regards,

Markus

Yves360

Post by Yves360 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem here :cry:

I have also a nvidia webdriver

Really sad! I hope somebody can help!

Thank you

Yves

macmad

Post by macmad » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:49 pm

I had the same problem and it was a strange solution. I installed LS 4 and a "new features" box came up. I ignored it and kept going through the install and let the system reboot. I too found it strange that there was no Configuration window. I did not think of it because I was in exploratory mode. I tried to find the opening help window and I could not find it. My system is set to open with multiple windows (Total Spaces). I took a peek at all my windows and sure enough, one of the windows contained the help window. I clicked through the window and lo and behold the familiar configuration window was available.
In short, there is a popup help window opens on initial install. The window must be closed BEFORE you reboot to finish the install.

sgaap

Post by sgaap » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:43 pm

The problem seems to be the with the 3th party driver restrictions that where implemented in sierra.

So every application that uses the library validation flag to sign code on osx 10.12 (and 13) and uses opengl or metal with the nvidia webdrivers will fail and fall back on software rendering (which does not work, only on some IGP's).

There are more apps bugging out because of this restriction, like ibooks:

iBooks (and instruments) are code signed with the 'library validation' flag, which means the kernel will block any loading of 'third party' libraries into them. The only libraries that are allowed are apple signed 'platform binaries' and binaries signed by the same team as the main executable.
The iBooks bug is because graphics drivers in macOS have two parts; the kext and a bundle that loads into processes and handles metal and OpenGL stuff. With Apple provided drivers these bundles load fine into iBooks because they are signed by Apple. The Nvidia metal/ogl bundles are NOT signed by apple and hence they cannot be loaded into a process requiring library validation. However, CoreAnimation can fall back to other renderers, so if you have an available IGP it can use that. Without that it falls back to a software renderer which isn't fully featured.

cappycdn

Post by cappycdn » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:08 am

Same problem here with nVidia web driver.

@sgaap, seems you figured out the problem. Any interim solution? Or are we stuck waiting for obdev to make a change or nVidia to sign their driver? Beyond that we would have to use the apple driver?

Thanks.

Elebato

Post by Elebato » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:59 pm

I do have exactly the same problem.

- Mac Pro 4,1 (Early 2009, Single CPU) flashed to 5,1
- EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Edition (the Original)
- macOS 10.12.5 Sierra
- latest NVIDIA Web Driver

sgaap

Post by sgaap » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:42 pm

@cappycdn

In theory its possible for obdev to either make a network monitor without using metal/opengl or by not signing the binaries, but thats a lot of work for a relatively small group of users.
There are people (mainly hackintosh setups it seems) that are able to use an IGP to render some apps (the issue also happens with the ibook application for example, and some xcode tools), but thats a lot of effort for something that might not even work on your setup.

In the end the cause lies with apple's unwillingness to support 7xx and up nvidia cards and at the same time not signing those webdrivers, the only easy solution for now is to either downgrade your card to a gtx6xx (afaik) or lower so you can use the ancient apple drivers or downgrade little snitch back to 3.x (which I have done).

//edit: might also be possible to strip the little snitch binary of code signing:
https://reverseengineering.stackexchang ... mac-binary
Altough its a lot of effort with unsure results (YMMV)

@Elebato

Your card should be support by apple's nvidia drivers, they lack performance and features but they are signed and should work for a GTX 680

sgaap

Post by sgaap » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:18 pm

Someone released a tool to fix this issue, have not tested it myself but people are reporting that it works.
Keep in mind that its always a risk to install a 3th party driver (kext).
Its tested against 10.12.5, so maybe 10.12.6 breaks it.

https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverLibValFix

Download:
https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverL ... x/releases

//edit:

Tested it with 10.12.6 using the 378.05.05.15f01 webdrivers (for 10.12.5, it loads just fine after modifying the osx build check in the plist): ibooks works so little snitch is likely to work also.

newsnitcher

Post by newsnitcher » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Didn't work for me

sgaap wrote:Someone released a tool to fix this issue, have not tested it myself but people are reporting that it works.
Keep in mind that its always a risk to install a 3th party driver (kext).
Its tested against 10.12.5, so maybe 10.12.6 breaks it.

https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverLibValFix

Download:
https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverL ... x/releases

//edit:

Tested it with 10.12.6 using the 378.05.05.15f01 webdrivers (for 10.12.5, it loads just fine after modifying the osx build check in the plist): ibooks works so little snitch is likely to work also.

Little-Feet

Post by Little-Feet » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:56 pm

I have the same problem.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with the latest drivers.

sgaap

Post by sgaap » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:22 pm

Ive tested it with the nvidia webdrivers on 10.12.5 and 10.12.6 on both my mac pro (5.1) with a 970 and a hackintosh with a 1060, in both cases the driver does its magic and all apps that "suffer" from this work just fine (all apps being the ibook app and little snitch 4.0.1)

Current versions:

OSX: 10.12.6
Webdriver: 378.05.05.25f01

kextstat | grep mologie

returns:

com.apple.kext.mologie.NVWebDriverLibValFix (1)

If that command does not return anything for you the driver isn't active

savf

Post by savf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:04 pm

I had the same problem after updating to Little Snitch 4.0.1 on my Mac Pro with the following configuration:

Mac Pro 3.1 (Early 2008)
macOS Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
NVIDIA Web Driver 378.05.05.15f01

I successfully got the network monitor to work with NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext and the following steps:

1. Boot into recovery mode by holding Cmd + R (screen stayed black, I kept holding the combination, let go after about 10 seconds and then recovery started)
  2. Open the terminal in recovery mode (Utilities -> Terminal)
  3. Enable system integrity protection but allow unsigned kernel extensions with the following command:

csrutil enable --without kext

This should return:
    csrutil: requesting an unsupported configuration. This is likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.
    Successfully enabled System Integrity Protection. Please restart the machine for the changes to take effect.
  4. Now reboot the Mac normally, download NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext.1.0.0.tar.gz from https://github.com/mologie/NVWebDriverLibValFix/releases, then untar and activate with:

sudo tar -xv -C /Library/Extensions -f NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext.1.0.0.tar.gz
    sudo kextutil /Library/Extensions/NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext