Profile (and priority) Confusion

General discussions about Little Snitch
ctwise
Rank 1
Rank 1

Profile (and priority) Confusion

Post by ctwise » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm not sure I'm understanding profiles and priorities correctly. I can't seem to get rid of 'Unnecessary Priority' warnings and still have my profiles work correctly.

For my tethering profile (Mobile), what I want is to deny the crap that sucks bandwidth (Adobe Cloud, software updates, etc.) but allow other apps. Though something like how TripMode (https://www.tripmode.ch) works would possibly be useful.

For my unknown network profile (Stop Traffic) I would like to deny everything with the single exception of initiating VPN connections. Here are the rules for Stop Traffic.

The first rule (Deny incoming) says the priority isn't necessary but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be, since the default is to allow them and profile rules don't get an automatic priority boost.

The third rule (Allow incoming for KSPacketTunnelMac) says it's redundant but I'm not sure how since I'm denying incoming with the first rule.

Can anyone help me understand?

jms703

Re: Profile (and priority) Confusion

Post by jms703 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:14 pm

I've found that my tethering profile is broken after upgrading to LS 4 and had to start from scratch.

I created the deny rule, and this works.
I created rules for SSH and Google Chrome, and I have to increase priority of each rule I create, so that the Deny rule is last.
This helps me maintain a "mobile" profile for limiting apps that can use up my cellular data.