General discussions about Little Snitch
GreenT

Re: v4 Licensing Query

Post by GreenT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:51 pm

Radar1968

Post by Radar1968 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:16 pm

I have heard back from OD support and their reply is as follows:

"You purchased your license before we have introduced the new Version 4 prices and so you paid less as you would pay now. I'm sorry your license is not eligible for a free upgrade."

I have been offered a discount code for the upgrade to LS4.

I'm still not entirely sure what their comment actually means in terms of dates for other peoples upgrades or why v4 pricing should affect this situation at all. Never experienced this with other vendors. With them it's been a simple cut off date sometime prior to the latest release being available, usually in the region of 2-3 months.

I've written and rewritten this post several times removing a lot of what I really want to say about this. Suffice to say I'm not greatly impressed and won't be using my v3 license.

I hope others have greater success than I have and I wish everyone well.

Radar

MacDoktor

Post by MacDoktor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:20 pm

OK gang, I just put a $25 single license update in my cart. It asked for my existing license (which begins with "33" and was purchased in 2012) and it was accepted. I completed the purchase, installed 4.0.1, registered with the new license (which begins with "34") and everything is working fine in El Capitan. :shock: :mrgreen: :lol:

speakerstand

Post by speakerstand » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:53 pm

OK, so let me start by saying that I did get my LS3 license from the magazine thing, so I accept that effectively I got a copy for a highly reduced amount.

However....

What bugs me is not that it looks like I need to give OD some money, fair enough, I got a good deal, but it's only fair they should be paid for the product they produced - what bugs me is that they have hooked the High Sierra update into needing to upgrade to V4, and what this means for the future.

I was quite happy with LS3, and I would have stuck with it for a while, I will always upgrade software when it drops out of support so I continue to get patches etc, it just feels a little like OD are trying to make some money out of those upgrading to HS, despite the fact LS3 has always supported a few versions of MacOS. Had I know about this I probably wouldn't have bothered with the magazine deal, and would have instead just come direct.

I think what bugs me more is that (From my very limited understanding, which could be wrong) HS is not a major O/S upgrade, there has been no major changes to the way in which LS should operate, so I'm struggling to understand how I'm getting value for money here?

I don't really want to buy in to a product that needs me to pay each year for upgrades, if there's a cool feature I want in an upgrade I'll pay, but it seems a little naughty to demand an upgrade for a minor O/S update.

An example is Security Spy, I have it on my home server, it's a great product, but Ben doesn't tie major O/S releases to major version releases of security spy - you can still buy the new version if you want, but as long as you are running a relatively recent version, SS will still work with new O/S upgrades...

speakerstand

Post by speakerstand » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Just an update.

It appears there's a new version for LS3 (3.8) now compatible with HS.

Just wanted to thank the developers for sorting this, it does restore faith a little, it's just a shame that the message wasn't clear that they were planning to try and update LS3 with support for HS.

Just installed now and waiting for a reboot.