v4 Licensing Query

General discussions about Little Snitch
Radar1968

v4 Licensing Query

Post by Radar1968 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:37 pm

So my original question from this forum remains:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10857

Which is:
If I purchased v3 of little Snitch on 12th May do I now have to repurchase a 3 to 4 upgrade less than 2 months later?
My license code begins 33 so I'm convinced it won't work with v4.
Most vendors give a purchase 'grace' period after which if you bought a license it will work with the newer version just released. This should especially be true as the public Beta was released on 6th June.

Anyone know the answer or someone from Objective Development care to comment.

Kind Regards
Radar

revnja

Re: v4 Licensing Query

Post by revnja » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:39 pm

When I bought mine about a month ago I could almost swear I saw something to the effect of "purchasing a Little Snitch license key now will guarantee you access to the upcoming Little Snitch 4". That was one of the main reasons I finally decided to pull the trigger on LS3 when I did. I see no place to upgrade my key and I haven't received any e-mail about it either. I am about to upgrade from Beta 2 to GA, so we'll see if my existing key works or not...

revnja

Post by revnja » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 pm

As an update, no, my v3 license key is not working after the upgrade and I'm now dealing with demo mode.

gorip96

Post by gorip96 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Me too, I can't use the v3 license, while the beta license has been revoked, now I'm stuck in demo mode

ctawn

Post by ctawn » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:31 pm

I hope that OD offers a slightly more affordable 3>4 update price discount at some point.

Radar1968

Post by Radar1968 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:41 pm

ctawn wrote:I hope that OD offers a slightly more affordable 3>4 update price discount at some point.

Can't say I'll be rushing to put any more of my money OD's way particularly in light of the current situation regarding recently purchased v3 licenses.

I'm happy that nothing lasts forever but given they announced a public v4 Beta only 3 weeks after I purchased v3 it seems a little poor then I now have to purchase an upgrade to get v4 such a short period afterwards. After 3 months or 6 months yes, but 3 weeks, no way.

No word from them regarding v3 licensing honouring or when (if at all) their cut off period was. Need a little bit more customer service here.

Radar

YeahIDontThinkSo

Post by YeahIDontThinkSo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:49 am

So paid USD69 on 16 May 2017
72 days later "Upgrade" free to licences starting 34. Can I ask how close to today I had to buy my licence for it to start 34???

As for the discount? It's 25%. So I bought something that I thought was $69 but actually we've shafted you and you need to pay up another $52

If only I could get my customers to pay twice every 72 days.

Foxtrot Oscar.

In marketing terms a good sale is worth three recommendations. A bad sale gets 10 criticisms.

GreenT

Post by GreenT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:57 am

I'm in same position.

What's going on?

Ob Dev please respond.

Does anyone have the support email address for the company?

daniela
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by daniela » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:33 am

Totally understand your concerns when you've currently bought V3 of Little Snitch. Therefore I suggest to contact the sales support directly: https://obdev.at/support/index.html?pro ... opic=order

Radar1968

Post by Radar1968 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:13 pm

daniela wrote:Totally understand your concerns when you've currently bought V3 of Little Snitch. Therefore I suggest to contact to the sales support directly: https://obdev.at/support/index.html?pro ... opic=order

Contact process started. Will report back if and when I get a reply.

Radar

m0j0

Post by m0j0 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:11 am

I'm adding a "me too" to this thread.

I have contacted sales support and waiting for an answer.

I suspect that Little Snitch has been at version 3.x for some time. I only purchased the product four months ago, so I don't know for sure.

If I had been using Little Snitch 3 since 2013, I'd cheerfully fork over more money for an major update. However, I'm very upset that I'm being asked to essentially repurchase the product after only four months of use.

Hopefully they will take care of those of us who purchased the product recently. Otherwise, I am still within the 180-day window that I can simply ask for a refund and stop using the product. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

volx757

Post by volx757 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:22 am

I've sent them an email about this issue as well.

GreenT

Post by GreenT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:23 am

I tweeted: https://twitter.com/Lightningfast_/stat ... 8806192128

I messaged in using the contact form on the website, but am awaiting a reply.

Anyone have any luck yet with getting back to v3?

daniela
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by daniela » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:41 pm

User of Little Snitch 3 do not have to pay the full price of a new license. They will get a discounted price which is -45% less than a new Little Snitch 4 license.

Anyway if you’ve recently bought version 3 please reach out to our sales support: https://obdev.at/support/index.html?pro ... opic=order
Our team does its best to respond as soon as possible.

If you’re not interested in version 4 anymore it will always be possible to downgrade Little Snitch to the previous version (without loss of any rules):
https://obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/ ... egacy.html

Radar1968

Post by Radar1968 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:13 pm

daniela wrote:User of Little Snitch 3 do not have to pay the full price of a new license. They will get a discounted price which is -45% less than a new Little Snitch 4 license.

Anyway if you’ve recently bought version 3 please reach out to our sales support: https://obdev.at/support/index.html?pro ... opic=order
Our team does its best to respond as soon as possible.

If you’re not interested in version 4 anymore it will always be possible to downgrade Little Snitch to the previous version (without loss of any rules):
https://obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/ ... egacy.html

Daniela,

Whilst we all appreciate we can get a 45% discount on v4 from v3, those of us that bought v3 right before the v4 beta was released feel a little hard done by to say the least that we are being expected to buy again. It would have been nice to have the situation clarified immediately v4 beta was released e.g if you bought v3 on or after date x then you'll be entitled to a v4 license when released. Unfortunately no such advice has been forthcoming from OD.

There are many purchase situations but I, for example, upgraded from v2 to v3 in May, delayed installation whilst I worked on a system issue only to find that when I did get to install LS it was out of date (v4 beat released) and OD want more of my money to get going with v4. All this within a 21day timeline. Had I known I'd be in this situation now I'd have done a v2 to v4 upgrade instead and saved lots of hassle and money.

I have yet to receive feedback from my support request so will reserve further judgement until after this time.

Kind Regards
Radar