Request: Built-in Whois

General discussions about Little Snitch
robogobo

Request: Built-in Whois

Postby robogobo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:26 pm

I asked about this a couple years ago, and I'm surprised it hasn't been added yet. It can't be so difficult to add and would be a huge help. When a connection request comes in, it comes with an IP address. That may be helpful to a computer but for us humans, we need to know where that address is located and who's on the other end. So it's highlight, copy, go to browser, open new tab, click on address field, paste, enter. That sure get old after the 100th time. How about a built-in Whois tool in LS? Or better yet, do it automatically and drop a location and a map right in the connection request window! Yeah!

hummingdrone

Re: Request: Built-in Whois

Postby hummingdrone » Thu May 04, 2017 12:28 pm

This is what Hands Off does.

And I totally agree I want that feature on Little Snitch so badly. It's the only reason I use Hands-Off; I want to block access to domains, not to IP addresses.

jamver

Re: Request: Built-in Whois

Postby jamver » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:31 am

robogobo wrote:I asked about this a couple years ago, and I'm surprised it hasn't been added yet. It can't be so difficult to add and would be a huge help. When a connection request comes in, it comes with an IP address.

robogobo wrote:That may be helpful to a computer but for us humans, we need to know where that address is located and who's on the other end. So it's highlight, copy, go to browser, open new tab, click on address field, paste, enter. That sure get old after the 100th time. How about a built-in Whois tool in LS?

I second these suggestions regarding the use of WHOIS Data and made a new forum post to flesh out some specific features.

robogobo wrote:Or better yet, do it automatically and drop a location and a map right in the connection request window! Yeah!

That's a brilliant addition to the features I outlined.

Return to “Little Snitch General”