Exacty how do I protect my privacy with LS?

General discussions about Little Snitch
Adinol

Exacty how do I protect my privacy with LS?

Postby Adinol » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:01 pm

I've been a Little Snitch user for several years and to be honest I've never been able to make full use of it, as I don't understand how to actually use it for what I want to do, which is to protect my privacy.

What ends up happening is, I get an alert, I read the research assistant's description, I don't know what any of that really means (as it is often to vaguely described to really tell me what the process does and what information it send to whom or for what purpose) and I see the green checkmark on the code signature marked as valid, so I allow the connection forever.

When I keep getting too many alerts I simply turn on the silent mode to allow connections.

Example:

plugin-container
wants to connect to v4.moatads.com on port 843

The Firefox plugin Container is a process separate from Firefox the runs plugins, such as Adobe Flash plugin.

What does any of that mean? Why would I want to allow it or deny it? What information are they sending out to whom and for what purpose? What does Adobe Flash have to do with that?

But it has a valid code signature so I allow it.

All that said I can't really figure out what good LS does if I'm allowing all connections anyway.

I searched the internet for examples of people denying connections but there's very little information about that and the information that I did find explains nothing that I can understand. Even the LS web site only has examples of allowing connections, in their description of what LS does.

So, I am basically trying to understand how I can use LS to protect my privacy. In other words, I don't like the idea of anyone collecting any information about me for any purposes. So exactly which connections should I be denying?

Thanks...

martinR

Re: Exacty how do I protect my privacy with LS?

Postby martinR » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:06 am

I know my answer will sound flippant and I apologize in advance. If I didn't want anyone to collect any information about me for any purposes I would only feel safe having gone 'off grid'.

Buying my shopping or other stuff or browsing YouTube, Google or other sites I fancy using for whatever reason leaves a trail, I am a modern digital slug, but as long as my financial dealings are just that of an average Joe I'm not particularly bothered.

My feeling of security comes from running my devices behind a router and keeping firewalls up and running, Little Snitch for me just sits and keeps an electronic eye out for unauthorised outgoing connections. I know what applications I have running and unless they need access to the internet they are denied. So basically, for me apart from OSX processes, it is Chrome, Firefox, Apple Mail App, some iCloud syncing, nothing else should need connections.

I also don't get into the minutia of OSX processes, perhaps I should, but so far I've gone many years allowing the OS default processes access (all to Apple addresses/servers) without issue, I'm probably stupid to allow so much access and there will no doubt be a first time nasty things happen, I'll think again if that happens.

Occasionally I will reset Little Snitch to a new clean factory profile and reset access permissions as they pop up, just incase, I check where they want to go each time. Hope this helps if nothing else to bump your post up a little.

Adinol

Postby Adinol » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks for your reply.

There are too many processes that want to connect and there are no explanations as to what those processes are actually doing. If someone wanted to collect my personal info I would not expect a popup that says IDthief App wants to connect to SamMaster.com. It would probably be an alert along the lines of iTunes wants to connect to MusicInfo.com and there would be a vague description that this service gives iTunes users some great service for something that everyone wants. But is there a Trojan horse hiding there?

I just wish the LS developers' site would have a list of examples of what to deny or of some services that are collecting more info than they tell us and also a list of connections that we can easily do without. There's plenty of information on how to set up Snitch to allow connections but when I bought it I was hoping I could use it so that I can at least somewhat protect my privacy against big corporate bullies that keep collecting our information for their own profits. If Google wants to know which targeted ads to flash in front of my eyes they need to pay me using up space on my screen. Things of that nature are what I want to protect my privacy from.

Thanks...

wavestrake

Postby wavestrake » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:41 pm

I see the main value of LS in limiting wasted bandwidth and processing and protecting privacy secondary. I'm sure it helps with protecting privacy, but there are better ways. You might consider one of the many VPN services that exist for that purpose like https://www.hidemyass.com/#. This is not a recommendation, just one I happen to remember because it has a funny title. I have not tried these, and I'm cynical enough to think that I am the NSA and I want to spy on people the first thing I would do would be to create shell VPN services to help people hide their web activities. That would seem like an obvious thing to do if you have virtually unlimited resources. It's what I would do if that were my mission.

nc3

Postby nc3 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Nah, I think something with a name like "Little Snitch" would be more their kind of humor and in some ways more useful. :wink: Too much raw data is a bad thing. Metadata is far more useful.

Return to “Little Snitch General”