Little Snitch + El Capitan DP8+ = Broken Localhost Connections

General discussions about Little Snitch
GrandOldBoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Little Snitch + El Capitan DP8+ = Broken Localhost Connections

Post by GrandOldBoy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:53 am

For those of you who may be experiencing erratic/non-connection behavior with locally-installed virtual hosts which rely upon MAMP PRO, as well as AMPPS, following are some excerpts from an email message which I sent to Little Snitch's developers earlier today. I share this with you so that you may know that you are not alone, and that unless you have made changes to your web server and/or networking setup, there is more than likely nothing wrong with it. In other words, based on my own experiences over the past three weeks plus, there is apparently an issue between El Captain and Little Snitch which is causing this localhost problem.

----- Begin Email Excerpts -----

As it turns out, after three full weeks of frustration, not even an hour ago, I discovered why all of my MAMP PRO hosted websites have been offline since September 1st.

I was going crazy repeatedly examining all of my settings, looking for something that had somehow changed, or which was set wrong. However . . . I found absolutely nothing wrong.

Yet despite the fact that all of my settings were still correct everywhere -- in MAMP PRO, in my hosts file, in my Network preferences pane and in my Wi-Fi router -- and even though I ran Network Diagnostics and still found nothing wrong, regardless of whether I used Firefox, Safari or Google Chrome, I was simply unable to connect to localhost, which means that I could not connect to any of the virtual hosts which I run through MAMP PRO, and neither could anyone else.

I was just about at the point of switching to different web server software, when I discovered a few days ago that even with AMPPS, I cannot connect to a locally-hosted website. This really alarmed me.

What finally shed light on this issue is the fact that in recent days, I have had a very difficult time connecting to the App Store. Then today I discovered that while I can use the App Store, and download apps from it, I couldn't access my App Store account info. Furthermore, once I logged out of the App Store, I was no longer able to log back in again.

That is when the light came on in my head, and it occurred to me that maybe Little Snitch had something to do it with it. This is because I recalled having a similar problem some time ago with another app. I can't remember now which one it was.

Well, the minute I disabled Little Snitch's network filter -- leaving myself totally unprotected -- I was able to access my App Store account info again, and I was able to log into the App Store again.

Even more importantly, on a hunch, I launched MAMP PRO, and guess what? All of my websites and blog are back online again, as if nothing had ever happened. This clearly confirms to me that there was never anything wrong with my MAMP PRO settings, or with any of my other settings.

The fact that I have confirmed this with three different web browsers confirms this for me beyond a shadow of a doubt.

So what I can tell you is this:

From El Capitan DP8 and forward, including the Golden Master, something is happening between Little Snitch and El Capitan which is breaking the ability to connect to localhost, and any locally-hosted virtual hosts which rely on the 127.0.0.1 loopback.

Because of this issue, neither I, nor anyone else in the world, has been able to connect to any of my websites since September 1st.

BTW, this problem only seems to affect the http protocol and localhost.

During this entire time, I have had NO PROBLEM using the web, checking for mail, downloading files from the web, using FaceTime, texting with Messages, etc.

Furthermore, I also run an old school Hotline server, which, as you may know, uses its own proprietary protocol, and normally port 5500. My Hotline server has NOT been affected by the Little Snitch-El Capitan issue.

I also run an old school PC-ANSI BBS, which is accessible via telnet and port 23. My BBS has likewise NOT been affected by the Little Snitch-El Capitan issue.

Please let me stress here that prior to installing El Capitan DP8, everything worked fine. In other words, with DP7 and backwards, my websites were all up and running, and MAMP PRO was unaffected by whatever is going on between Little Snitch and El Capitan.

----- End Email Excerpts -----

In short, my friends, if neither you -- or anyone else -- can connect to your virtual hosts, which rely upon localhost and the 127.0.0.1 loopback, the ONLY solution which I have found to date is to turn off Little Snitch's network filter. As in my case, upon doing so, you may very well discover that there is nothing wrong with your web server setup, or with your network preferences, including both ethernet and wi-fi. Everything will return to normal the minute that you turn off the network filter.

If you want to test this for yourself, try connecting to one of your virtual hosts. Your web browser will make a vain attempt to connect to it, but will fail. Now, while your web browser is still trying to connect to your virtual host, turn off Little Snitch's network filter from the menubar. Upon doing so, if your problem is the same as mine, the connection to your virtual host will suddenly go through.

Let me know how it goes for you. I hope this message helps some of you.

Let's all hope that Little Snitch's devs can fix this problem soon, because right now we remain unprotected if we want to make our websites accessible to the world.

GrandOldBoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Little Snitch + El Capitan DP8+ = Broken Localhost Connections

Post by GrandOldBoy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:06 am

BTW, I forgot to mention that I have been using Little Snitch 3.6.0 Nightly (4350) for quite some time now, and it does NOT fix this localhost connection issue.

GrandOldBoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GrandOldBoy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:50 am

UPDATE: I just received a private email from Benjamin at Objective Development.

For those of you who are experiencing connection issues -- localhost issues, or otherwise -- you will be happy to know that the Objective Development team has confirmed to me that a bug does exist in Little Snitch, which apparently first manifested itself beginning with El Capitan DP8 -- and continuing with the Golden Master -- and that they are currently working on fixing it.

Following are some excerpts from Benjamin's response to me:

----- Begin email excerpts -----

We are in fact aware of this issue, Apple has changed something in the system at El Capitan developer beta 8/Golden Master and therefore we have detected a bug in Little Snitch.

We are still working on a fix for this issue. I would kindly ask you for some more patience.

Nonetheless, thank you very much for reporting this issue!

----- End email excerpts -----

So, we all just need to exercise a little more patience, while the Objective Development team figures this out for us; and I know they will. :)

MajorFusion

Post by MajorFusion » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Has this issue been resolved? I haven't noticed any updates to Little Snitch and El Capitan has been released. I'm still holding off on upgrading and have been going through all my critical software to make sure there's no problems and I hit this thread. I depend heavily on MAMP and can't afford to loose access to it, nor would I want to have to turn off Little Snitch.

GrandOldBoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GrandOldBoy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:47 pm

MajorFusion, the aforementioned issues between El Capitan and Little Snitch have indeed been resolved.

Not only is my MAMP PRO installation working perfectly again as it did before the release of El Capitan DP8 and the Golden Master, but the connection problems I was having with the App Store have also disappeared.

I encourage you to download the latest build of Little Snitch from its home page, if you haven't already done so.

The latest build is 3.6.0 (4352).

Enjoy!