Little Snitch causes massive boot delay (Mojave 10.14)

General discussions about Little Snitch
Borg

Re: Little Snitch causes massive boot delay (Mojave 10.14)

Postby Borg » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:37 am

Confirmed, finally solved with this nightly (5237), first normal boot since mojave!

IMHO this could have been solved in considerably less time if they worked with all of us in the forum...

Alexey.Danilchenko

Postby Alexey.Danilchenko » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:18 pm

norbert wrote:Dear Little Snitch user community,

With the release of Little Snitch 4.3 nightly (5237) we tried another approach to tackle the “delay during system startup on macOS Mojave” issue that some of you are experiencing. So far we’ve received positive feedback from users who have installed this nightly build, reporting that startup times are back to normal.

We kindly ask all Little Snitch users affected by the problem to update to the latest nightly version. And we want to thank all users for their cooperation and patience.

You can download the nightly build here:
https://obdev.at/littlesnitch/download-nightly.html

On your nightly page you write that you still cannot reproduce it so this attempt to fix it is like stabbing in adark (coming from a software developer). I do not feel confident in such a fix. On my iMac 2017 it is really easy to reproduce - upgred to Mojave from previous version of MacOS with Little Snitch already installed and up to date (released version) on previous MacOS version. My iMac has Fusion drive and no SSD and the problems are as follows:
1) cold boot after some time off - 2-5 mins long - pre Mojave about 10-15 sec
2) waking up from sleep (when sleeping for about 30 mins) takes about 15-30 sec (wakeup always with Bluetooth mouse or wired keyboard) - pre Mojave it is instanteneous (Monitor comes up in a second or so).

Now please kindly find Mac, install a previous MacOS there and some applications and configure some filters at random on Little Snitch, then upgrade to Mojave and try what I said here. It does not have to be SSD or anything else.

cym

Postby cym » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:28 pm

Installed nightly build 5237 on a MacBook pro 2015 with retina and the boot still takes more than 2 minutes.

vk2bkq

Postby vk2bkq » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:47 am

This latest download has fixed this perplexing boot problem on my iMac Mojave. Thank You!!! :D :D :D

vk2bkq

Benito

Postby Benito » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:46 pm

Same scenario here. iMac late 2013 i7, 3TB fusion drive.
I also noticed a delay in establishing the internet connection (wired ethernet) for about minut after boot to desktop.

Alexey.Danilchenko wrote:

With the release of Little Snitch 4.3 nightly (5237) we tried another approach to tackle the “delay during system startup on macOS Mojave” issue that some of you are experiencing. So far we’ve received positive feedback from users who have installed this nightly build, reporting that startup times are back to normal.

We kindly ask all Little Snitch users affected by the problem to update to the latest nightly version. And we want to thank all users for their cooperation and patience.

On your nightly page you write that you still cannot reproduce it so this attempt to fix it is like stabbing in adark (coming from a software developer). I do not feel confident in such a fix. On my iMac 2017 it is really easy to reproduce - upgred to Mojave from previous version of MacOS with Little Snitch already installed and up to date (released version) on previous MacOS version. My iMac has Fusion drive and no SSD and the problems are as follows:
1) cold boot after some time off - 2-5 mins long - pre Mojave about 10-15 sec
2) waking up from sleep (when sleeping for about 30 mins) takes about 15-30 sec (wakeup always with Bluetooth mouse or wired keyboard) - pre Mojave it is instanteneous (Monitor comes up in a second or so).

Now please kindly find Mac, install a previous MacOS there and some applications and configure some filters at random on Little Snitch, then upgrade to Mojave and try what I said here. It does not have to be SSD or anything else.

Inchtomanie

Postby Inchtomanie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 pm

I really regret not having checked this forum earlier on. Certainly I noticed the delay in booting and also the error messages and also the recommendation to re-install Little Snitch. The latter one didn't help. The second attempt to re-install LS led my MB (MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) not booting at all. Even after re-installing a new copy of Mojave in recovery mode it got frozen at the same level (2/3 of the bar, cursor blinking) I couldn't believe what I was facing. Very very annoying. Eventually I tried to re-install a back-up. Worked. And deleted LS instantly. I don't want to have my money back folks because I very much appreciated LS over the course of many years, but what I want is a built that is safe to use. Therefore, please inform the users asap once a version (not a beta) is available that permanently fixes the bug. As a recommendation, I also suggest that you inform users upfront once such a severe bug wasn't identified durch testing, but confirmed reported by users. I am looking forward to receiving a feedback. Thanks a lot! Greetings from Strasbourg, Thomas

philipshambrook

Postby philipshambrook » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:29 pm

There's a difference with the latest nightly build on my MacBook Pro (2018), and certainly faster than on the iMac. Next step is to load the same build on the iMac.

drummer

Postby drummer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:38 pm

I've got the same problem with an iMac late 2012 and a MacBook Air mid 2013, both on 10.14.1

BanditDD

Postby BanditDD » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi@all,

I use my Mac with FileVault encryption. If my iMac boots with LS4.2.3 appears the progress bar, then follow a black screen (1-2 seconds) and then appears the progress bar again (for 2-3 seconds). That needs overall 2-3 minutes for the boot process.

A fresh Mojave installation (with activated FileVault) shows only one process bar and needs appr. 30 seconds for the complete boot process.

How works the actual nightly? Is there also a "two stage boot progress bar"?

Best regards,
BanditDD

Bruno

Postby Bruno » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:05 pm

Hi BanditDD

With the last Nightly 5237, for me the issue is fixed at the moment
MacBook Pro 2017 TB and Mac mini late 2012.
Both machine are upgraded from Hight sierra to Mojave with a little Snitch ready for Mojave before upgrade

Cheers

littlesnitchuser743

Postby littlesnitchuser743 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 pm

Still works fine on the last night build (5237) mbp 15 (mid 2015)

LSUser37263

Postby LSUser37263 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:14 pm

Latest build 5237 fixed the cold boot delay here. Late 2013 i7 iMac. Was 2-4 minutes on release version after Mojave 10.14. Nightly build cold boot down to 40 seconds, which is the same it was prior to Mojave..

BanditDD

Postby BanditDD » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi,

LSUser37263 wrote:Latest build 5237 fixed the cold boot delay here. Late 2013 i7 iMac. Was 2-4 minutes on release version after Mojave 10.14. Nightly build cold boot down to 40 seconds, which is the same it was prior to Mojave..

what is the actual behavior of the boot progress bar? Di you see one progress bar without interruption? With LS4.2.3 (the last stable version with boot delay) disappears the progress bar (apr. 75 %) and comes back after 2-3 seconds with a black screen for the rest up to 100%, then starts the desktop.

Best regards,
BanditDD

r2a2ob

Postby r2a2ob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:18 pm

I haven't upgraded to Mojave yet. Is there a recommended upgrade path? For Mojave, is it better to start fresh or upgrade? For Little Snitch, is it better to start fresh or upgrade? It looks like the boot delays have gotten fixed. Thanks!

chris5s

Postby chris5s » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi,

I did the restart after updating to b5237, it was quick. A cold boot was quick as well. So build 5237 seems to fix the problem :). I write seems, because the lag appears to develop only after some time.

I upgraded my machine (iMac late 2013 w fusion drive) recently, swapping the HDD for an SSD. In the process, I had to restore the OS from a backup. I vividly remember one of the reboots being very quickly. But later on, things started to be very slow again. So, keeping fingers crossed (und Daumen gedrückt)...

Thanks for working on this issue, fixing a non reproducible bug is quite a challenge!

Cheers
Christian

Return to “Little Snitch General”