LittleSnitch Uninstall killed MacOSX 10.7 Lion

General discussions about Little Snitch

LittleSnitch Uninstall killed MacOSX 10.7 Lion

Postby DrFraggl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:02 am

Dear all,

yesterday I upgraded to 10.7 MacOSX Lion. After that a few programs didn't work anymore. One of them was LittleSnitch. Therefore I downloaded the newest version, startet it and hit the "uninstall LittleSnitch" butten, to get rid of the old version. I thought of installing it new afterwards, but ...

... after the recommanded restart, the MAC didn't boot over! But first some more details:

1) I'm using the new FileVault 2 (full disk encryption). Therefore I have to tipe in my password at the very beginning of the booting process (on EFI-Screen) ...
2) I have all updates for MacOSX etc.
3) The problems can hardly be caused by another piece of software, because I didn't touched anything else then Little Snitch between the two latest rebooting procedures ...

The problem symptomes: Mac askes for my password (see above) right after pushing the start-button. After that, it has a short loading period of about 20 sek, then there apears some kind of a loading bar below the Apple-Logo (I have only see something like that doring EFI-Updates) and than it shuts down ... and thats it! I'm not able to do anything!

I tried starting from the new Recovery Mode and make a "Disk Repair" and all the stuff you usually do, but nothing helps. I think it is a bad mixture of FileVault and messing around with Boot-Cache etc. ...

The good news is, that the recovery mode was able to unlock the FileVauls HDD, so I'm copying all my stuff to an external HDD right now and start with a new installation from scratch ...

But I'm very certain, this problem has something to do with littlesnitch ... maybe the uninstallation killed some important boot-files or whatever ... so I thing, that this should definitifly be checked!!!

If anyone expirienced a similar problem and has any ideas how to fix it without "doing it all new from scratch", I would be REALY happy, if this person would send me a PN or mail or posting here or whatever! :) Even Mail-in-a-bottle would be better then nothing!!!

Thanks anyways to all of you for reading this!
Best wishes,
Erikk
DrFraggl

Re: LittleSnitch Uninstall killed MacOSX 10.7 Lion

Postby akell » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:45 am

I had this issue. Fixed by running Repair permissions in disk utility. This was accessed using the new recovery tools. ie hold cmd-r on starting os.

It aslo created a problem on ugrading to lion causing continuous beach ball after logging in and only remedy was hard reboot.

Watching now to see if little snitch behaves itself. It seems to be working ok now.
akell

Postby DrFraggl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:55 am

Repairing permissions didnt work for me. I tried that before. But thx anyways!

Erik
DrFraggl

Postby manfred » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:28 am

Hello erik,

please send the following files to our support team:

/Library/Logs/LittleSnitchDaemon.log
~/Library/Logs/LittleSnitch Installer.log
~/Library/Logs/LittleSnitch Network Monitor.log
~/Library/Logs/LittleSnitch UIAgent.log
/var/log/kernel.log
/var/log/system.log

Please note: In Lion ~/Library is hidden by default. Use Go -> Go to Folder (⇧⌘G) to access this folder.

Thanks!
manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby DrFraggl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi manfred,

I have already reinstalled lion, but I could fish the "Little Snitch Installer.log" from the Backup. Can be found here: https://rapidshare.com/files/936036859/ ... taller.log

These three files should also be in the backup, but weren't there. I think they have been deleted during uninstall process (see Installer Log!):
/Library/Logs/LittleSnitchDaemon.log
~/Library/Logs/LittleSnitch Network Monitor.log
~/Library/Logs/LittleSnitch UIAgent.log

These two files weren't backed up, so I unfortunately couldn't recover them ...
/var/log/kernel.log
/var/log/system.log

I looked into the Installer-Log and found the following:

"Prelink failed for com.sierrawireless.driver.SierraDIPSupport; omitting from prelinked kernel.
/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache out of date.
Successfully updated helper partition disk0s3."

Due to the fact, that Lion makes a new recovery partition, this could be a problem! The reason is, that there are "to much" logical partitons:

disk0s1 -> EFI Bootstuff
disk0s2 / 3 -> Lion Recovery Stuff and/or MacOS itself
disk0s4 -> Windows Boot Camp

If Little Snitch tries to create a new "helper partiton" and/or chooses the wrong partiton (e.g. the MAIN MacOSX PARTITON!!!), this could end up in a mess! :(

Hope the knowledge helps to prevent further problems!!!

Thanks!
Erikk

PS: Sent all i know to your support team anyways!
DrFraggl

Postby ollybolly » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Ok, so I just installed little snitch v2.4.4 onto my 13inch MacBook Pro (intel core2duo) running Lion 10.7.2 and the exact same thing happened. I get the startup screen with the Apple logo on the grey screen with the gears initially moving, but then freezes forever and doesn't move on. I've run "repair disk permission"using the lion recovery disk with no resolution.

DrFraggl - how did you move/copy your files to an external HDD using lion recovery disk partition? Terminal? I have no experience of Terminal, so would be eternally grateful if you could walk me through this.

Objective Development - you guys have an solution? Is there a way of deleting little snitch using Terminal?

Thanking you both in advance
ollybolly

Postby DrFraggl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi ollybolly,

luckily, I had this thread in my abo-list, so I was notified about your post! :) I'll try to help you ...

0) Connect the external disk, you want to backup your data on ...

1) You have to boot, using a Lion from Recovery Disk, DVD or USB-Stick. You said, you tried permission repair, so I'm shure, you know how to boot from Recovery Disk! :)

2) If you use FileVault, you have to unlock your HDD. Therefore you have to start your HDD maintaining tool (I've got no idea, how it's called in english, in german it's "Festplatten-Dienstprogramm" ;)). By right-clicking on the HDD on the left and selecting "activate" or "unlock" you can unlock your disk to "turn off" the FileVault temporarly.

3) Switch to Terminal. I'm shure, there are a LOT of good Terminal-Tutorials, so I wouldn't state pictures or every single step. But if you have ever worked with command line (even in DOS for example), you will be familiar with terminal very soon. Here the short version:

a) change to your /Volume/ directory by using (commands ALWAYS without qoutation marks, of course!): "cd /Volume/"
b) get a list of all aktive Volumes by using "ls -l"
c) open the main HDD by using "cd HDDNAME". IF your HDD is called "MacHDD", you would use "cd MacHDD". btw: Mac is caps-sensitive, so you have to mind the CaPiTaLiZaTiOn ... ;)
d) do the same with every next level of folders. Maybe you just want to copy only your users directory, maybe more. It's a bit like in FINDER now ...
e) after you have found the folder of interest, you just copy it by using this: "cp -r YourFolder /Volumes/ExternalHDD/BackupFolder/". This will copy the folder of interest and everything what's in it to the designated destination (in this case the Folder "BackupFolder" on your external HDD). THIS STEP MAY TAKE A WHILE and you may have to wait very long, until you see the promt again.
f) repeat with every file/folder you want.

TIP: Google for "Copying" or "Moving" of files via terminal on MacOS or something like that. I'm shure, that will bring up enough further tuts and help!

4) Reinstall LION (that's what I did) from scratch and be happy again! :)

Have a NICE DAY and good luck!!!

Yours,
Erik

PS: When I had the problem, I sent a mail to the support. They answered me and told me, that there is a KernalExtention called com.sierrawireless.driver.SierraDIPSupport, which may have occured the break down. I have never tried to find out, if that was the reason or not. But maybe they will have an idea for your system? Just send them your system.log!
DrFraggl

Postby ollybolly » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks for your reply DrFraggl :)

Before I attempted that, I managed to reboot my mac in target disk mode and delete (hopefully) all the files that were installed by little snitch. After that my mac managed to reboot back to its happy self :wink:
ollybolly

Return to Little Snitch General